Not your Average Dana 60 Swap

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No sway bar, no excessive body roll. The way the control arms are mounted to the axle by way of two massive bushings pretty much acts as it’s own sway bar.
For those wanting any kind of articulation out of the front axle, throw the stock control arms away and go 4-link.

th3_d0c

Reaction score
Awesome, good to know. Although we got the old sway bar with the new links to fit, the links are basically resting on the front of the axle and it was eteith shift the swaybars forward an inch or leave it out.

And I basically used your walkthrough for my swap. 1990 f250 IDI 2wd to 2008 F350 suspension.

I just replaced my whole steering setup with hydroboost and new parts, so I kept those. I used the straight pitman arm from an obs f350 reamed out. My track bar mount was a lot closer that yours, I had to cut quite a bit. The rear bolt hole on the track bar mount uses the front hole on the spring bucket. And the front I'll have to weld a stud to the frame. It is almost right under the bolt for the steering box.
My spring buckets were 05-07, slightly different.

Waiting on a transmission rebuild and a few parts to come in and then it is Baja for a week surfing. So we'll see how it goes on the ride to san Diego.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC, the swaps I’ve seen using the sway bar; they used the Superduty bar upside down, and built about a 4” spacer underneath the frame rails to mount the pivot bushings.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got 1 more.
Never mentioned the steering damper setup. I ran without one for about the first year. I didn’t want it masking any death wobble or steering issues. But I figured it couldn’t hurt.
When I originally ordered my big pile of parts from Rock Auto to rebuild the axles, I screwed up and ordered one for a 2wd. So I figured the best way to fix the situation was to order a second one.....and build my own bracketry like the fancy aftermarket dual kits that cost way more than I was willing to spend.
1 big bracket that wraps around the axle, and 2 smaller brackets that attach to either end of the steering link bar.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

The results?
Not much difference. Steering is a little smoother, but I honestly couldn’t feel much difference.
I should also note that I don’t really have dual stabilizers. Turns out the alignment on one of my brackets was a little off, and when I bolted the first stabilizer shock on, it popped and threw all of its oil on the ground. It’s now a limp noodle that’s just there for looks. But I corrected the alignment issue before installation of the second one so it does dampen the steering as it should.

Hagan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your truck looks awesome! I love the Superduty fender badges and the black looks good too.