Not quite an IDI but someone please buy me this!!! (ebay)

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
I don't remember. I worked for them when they were in Broomfield. Cool idea, but it was super expensive!

PZ

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Ya it could be a lot cooler and 15K is insane. That said I'd park it down by the river if it were mine ;Sweet

A 3208 Cat is the biggest pile of crap ever made.

LOL That's funny. I don't know anything about the 3208 but when I think of Cat I think built like a brick poop house apparently this is not the case lol :dunno

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had two personally and worked on many dozen others. One of mine was a turbo unit in a service truck. I know I changed the head gaskets when I first got it and then did it again a year later when the fan clutch failed and it overheated while I was running the PTO so I could us the crane. It got replaced with a 3406 and last I heard it is still running 9 years later as the company yard dog. The other one I had which wasn't turbo was in a motorhome. Most anemic pile you'll ever see.

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If that really sells for $15,000, I'll be amazed. Especially in this economy.

I passed on a very similar, recently surplussed, Fire Dept Unimog BOV for $1500 at auction. The interior wasn't quite as polished though.

I think you could build an identical vehicle for much less money. Similar trucks (not converted) at auction, are rarely going for more than $2,000 here in Albuquerque.

The "26 gauge aircraft aluminum" is hype. That is 16/1000 of an inch, easy to dent with your knuckles, and aircraft use a variety of aluminum alloys, some very soft. I doubt he has any idea what alloy his is (Home Depot's best!).

Where was that Unimog and what kind of shape was it in?

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
The Unimog was sold at an auction in Santa Fe NM, last summer. It was in good mechanical condition. The Fire Dept had converted it into a mobile command post. I can't remember which municipality owned it though.

I've since seen it once, in Albuquerque, NM.

If I didn't already have a few dozen projects to finish, I'd have bid on it.

There are some really fantastic deals to be had at auctions right now. Govt agencies are still surplusing lots of vehicles and equipment, but nobody has the money to buy, so prices have fallen through the floor.

If you really want one, let me know, and I'll keep an eye out. I hit a lot of auctions.