Not Enough Coolant Recovered

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dang Scott,it looks like you pushed yours for all she was worth and them some lol.Mine was leaking for a while but I didn't push it that far.I guess your's probably failed a bit differently though with all kinds of small leaks where mine were one or two larger and bigger leaks.Was that the original OEM 4 core to the truck?

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Yeah it's a big sob.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure on the age of that radiator, we just picked up the truck in February. It had been weeping some, but the final blow was the top tank. If you see all the light colored area between the top hose connection and the area of the cap, that tank blew out..... we got a slightly used replacement from a member on here that was parting an IDI.... had a new replacement that had only a few hundred miles before it lost a head gasket/cracked head......

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Concerning trapped air, the B-series Cummins and most other diesels actually have a plug in the block at the highest point; you remove that plug to allow the air to escape; you can then bleed off any small amounts of air by loosening the plug.
Some of us replace that plug with a pet-**** valve that simplifies the process.
I do not know whether such a plug exists on the IDI engines, but I would almost bet that there is one.
If no such plug is available, you can accomplish the same thing at the temperature sending unit, providing it is high enough.
One might could even install the sending unit in one leg of a TEE and a drain-**** in the other leg.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a note, typically temp sensors only read when there's coolant actually touching it. So the head could be way hotter.

That is my understanding concerning most common temperature sensors; actually, they can be sort of a joke; should one have a low enough coolant level, the gauge would be useless, negating the reason for having one in the first place.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86