Not Enough Coolant Recovered

adamsanders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to update this thread and ask for some more advice. So when I filled with my fleetcharge, sure enough I was able to get 5 1/2 gallons in. I tried squeezing the hose, no change. I let the truck run without the rad. cap on for a while, no change. I drove the truck for probably 100 miles. Some at 75 mph on the highway. Came back expecting a drop in coolant but to my surprise it was still full. Also I should note that the temp. Gauge rises as it always has to the "N" and pretty much stays there. Occasionally when idling it will touch the "O". Wouldn't any air worked itself out by now?

One thing I did notice that is interesting to me is that I went and bought a new 13 lb. cap just because the old one looked rough. I told them to get me a cap for 91 7.3. It was way bigger than the hole on the radiator. I knew this wasn't the OEM radiator but maybe it's for a different truck and doesn't have as much capacity? I've attached pic of it

You must be registered for see images attach

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks like an undersized rad, not as thick as our stockers. Can you see how many rows it has? My guess is two

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure doesn't look like my radiator. Mine the top radiator sticks up way more and the hose for the upper portion has a big arch. Let me see if I have a picture.

adamsanders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks like an undersized rad, not as thick as our stockers. Can you see how many rows it has? My guess is two
I can't tell from just looking at it. Very possible that it is 2 rows though. Whatever it is I'm sure it was bought at a local parts store. It doesn't appear to be really old either.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put a real temperature gauge on it and make sure that radiator is keeping up with the engine, it may not be big enough to cool that diesel

adamsanders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I would like to do that soon. I don't think it is running hot though. I have access to a very high end infrared gun, I pointed it all over the head after it had been running and the highest I saw was 170-180F. I know that doesn't mean internally it isn't screaming hot but none the less it is an indicator I believe. Do you think this could be the source of my capacity issue?

adamsanders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you use the same sensor in the head for a real gauge or do you have mount another one?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mechanical gauge comes with a sensor attached and a set of adapters to mount in the head

adamsanders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
.7 bar is barely over 10psi.

Hmm. Guess I need to find a 13 psi to fit this radiator. You would think a 10 psi cap would allow the overflow to fill/drain a lot but I never see it changing level.

Any ideas what this radiator actually goes too? Maybe a gas truck of this vintage?

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm. Guess I need to find a 13 psi to fit this radiator. You would think a 10 psi cap would allow the overflow to fill/drain a lot but I never see it changing level.

Any ideas what this radiator actually goes too? Maybe a gas truck of this vintage?
Only use a motorcraft. Lower psi takes pressure off the head gasket and cooling system in general. Slightly higher psi raises your boiling point.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

adamsanders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only use a motorcraft. Lower psi takes pressure off the head gasket and cooling system in general. Slightly higher psi raises your boiling point.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
But how can I use a motorcraft radiator cap when I don't even know what this radiator is meant to fit. The cap I bought to fit a 91 IDI was much too large

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed, that is no where near stock sized radiator........

Here is pictures of the dead one out of my 92...

For size comparison, that is a factory sized tire off an IDI.....

I got at almost 5 gallons out when draining the radiator with the petcock on the radiator.... I didn't remove the block drains..... I put 4 full gallons of coolant back in the replacement and still had to add water on top of what was in the block from the flush, after all the air worked its way out......