Not enough antifreeze

Nidenn

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just flushed my truck and replaced my thermostat while it was drained. That all went fine. But I noticed my truck only takes about 6 gallons in the cooling system and I thought it had 8. Any input? Could there be 2 gallons that never flushed or am I wrong about the capacity of the 6.9l? Let me know what you know thanks guys!

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
These blocks and hoses hold a ton of water. I replaced the radiator in the last IDI. I just drained the old radiator and what ever drained out with the hoses unhooked from the radiator. I didn’t take anything else loose, so the heater core, all the heater hoses and what was left in the block. It took less than 4 gallons to refill the radiator and top everything off. One thing that may have helped keep more coolant in when changing it out, my driveway is fairly steep and the truck was nose up while it was apart.

Nidenn

Reaction score
I drained radiator, the block from above the starter, and the block from near the oil filter. Is there another drain plug somewhere I missed? Could there be 2 full gallons in the hoses even with those 3 drain plugs off? I am working on it on a flat surface. I thought of opening everything and jacking it up a few inches from each corner to help it drain. Anyone try that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online