Noise Level

DieselChemist

Reaction score
I have heard that these 12v engines are quite noisy. How much louder are they than a 6.9 IH?
Thanks
Bill

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they are noisy yes, embrace it, its what a diesels all about. it gets better when you can tell the difference between a 12v, 24v, common rail ctd, powerstroke and d-max just by hearing one idle.

bentwings

Reaction score
You should hear my 24 valve with a straight pipe behind my appartment when it's -10 outside.:thumbsup:

Even the garbage guy waves at me haha ;Sweet

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
It's louder that's for sure but surprisingly it's not any louder inside the cab - this is because Dodge actually used sound deadening materials throughout the cab to help isolate the rattle. When you pull up to a drive thru or the like you will have to shut off the truck to order when in a 12v I have read in mags that the Common Rail Cummins you don't have to shut the truck off because it's quiet enough but a 12v - oh baby they are the ones with the loudest rattle.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Thinking of jumping ship Will :angel: LOL

I got news for ya....the '99 24 valve I was driving when my PSD was down made MORE noise at idle than the PSD LOL

Not to mention the 24V had full stock exh and mine is as empty as my wallet:D

holtzer1 said:
they are noisy yes, embrace it, its what a diesels all about. it gets better when you can tell the difference between a 12v, 24v, common rail ctd, powerstroke and d-max just by hearing one idle.

You can say you have truly become one when you can tell them apart under full load:hail ;Sweet ;p :D

DieselChemist

Reaction score
Not jumping ship just a redirection. I plan on keeping the ford but it is not a crewcab and in about 5 years I will definately need a crewcab. So I was thinking about getting a 96 or 97 F350 crew cab and putting a cummins in it. Doing this all while I am still driving the 6.9 so I can do it right. Heck, a newer 6.0 trucks are going for 20-25k with 150-200k miles on them. I thought getting a blown F350 and putting cummins in it would be cheaper than buying one with over 100,000 miles on it and having the benefit of a brand new engine. Judy already complains about the noise from the 6.9 so I was thinking the cummins was going to be too loud for her. Am I going the wrong direction with this or does it seem logical
Geo did you get my last pm, that's the problem of having a friend for a moderator, I can't get away with impure thoughts

bentwings

Reaction score
:D If you think a 24 valve is a bit noisy then go with the common rail. they actually are pretty quiet. You can also put sound deadning inthe cab.....maybe have your cake too :D

DieselChemist

Reaction score
I'm reluctant because of all the electronics. I like the idea of putting sound deadner in the engine bay. how much will this reduce the noise

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I don't know how much sound deadening the OBS Fords have but adding some will only help even if it already has some from the factory. Only problem with the aftermarket sound deadening material is you have to pull everything out of the cab (seats, carpet etc). Then I believe the 12v would be quite enough. Now outside the cab it's a loud thing but roll up the winders and it's a totally different story.

gumper

Reaction score
Mine isn't very loud. Run good synthetic oil, it actually made mine quieter. As long as you have a muffler and a silencer ring it's good. My gas motor truck is louder.

Rocket04

Reaction score
I read from another site that adding a quart of 2-stroke oil in the fuel quiets the diesel a bit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online