No VSS...Speedo?

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Guys

The axle I traded for (Dana 70HD) has no VSS in the axle. Is there any way to get a working speedo and odometer?

If not thats fine since I will have a GPS in the vehicle. It would be nice to have all the factory gauges working.

Thanks,

Thad

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if its for the 87 in your sig, then the speedo is run by a cable from the tailshaft of the transmission. the sensor that i think you are referring to in the rear axle is the one for the rear abs. without it, your rear abs will not function, and you will likely need to go to a different system for controling rear brake pressure to avoid lockup of the rear wheels when unloaded

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's for the rear ABS, I would not lose any sleep over it not working. Most people end up bypassing or re-working the ABS valve so it doesn't work anyway.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
If it's for the rear ABS, I would not lose any sleep over it not working. Most people end up bypassing or re-working the ABS valve so it doesn't work anyway.

What would be needed to bypass the valve? Just a spliter where the brake line come off the frame and then a line to each hub?

Thanks for the help.

thad

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
All i did was get an coupler for brake lines so you can put the two ends together. connect the line going into the RABS valve from the MC with the line exiting the RABS valve going to the rear wheels. i can get a pic tomorrow if you would like.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
A picture would be great since I am not certain what the RABs valve looks like.

Thad

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
This is the part you will be looking for....

It is located inside the frame rail on the drivers side. roughly around were the firewall and cab floor meet iirc.

Attachments

• getimage.jpg
    getimage.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 10

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Eric,

Did we just became best friends? (quote from Stepbrothers if you missed the joke...)

Thanks a ton...so bypassing this is not going to screw up my brakes or anything crazy right?

Thad

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Eric,

Did we just became best friends? (quote from Stepbrothers if you missed the joke...)

Thanks a ton...so bypassing this is not going to screw up my brakes or anything crazy right?

Thad

have not seen the movie. no your brakes will be just fine. the way i understand how this thing works is it is just a bridge i guess you could say for the fluid to go to the back brakes. then when the VSS in the rear pig senses a to rapid deceleration rate the RABS valve acts like a waste gate and just dumps brake fluid to somewhere in the RABS vavle until normal wheel speed and brakeing conditions are resumed. i have heard some guys on here say that is the first mod you should make to these trucks.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48158

Follow the link. on the first page is a picture of my MC. the thing that i have labled the proportioning valve is what controls pressure to the rear brakes so they don't lock up as soon as you touch the brak pedal.

Last edited:

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Morning Thad

Here are the pics. they are off my '94. i hope it is the same system as on your '87. i am sure it will work though just to show you how i bypassed my RABS valve.

Attachments

• Photo0327.jpg
    Photo0327.jpg
    425.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Photo0328.jpg
    Photo0328.jpg
    444.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Photo0330.jpg
    Photo0330.jpg
    381.8 KB · Views: 10

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Eric,

Looks fairly simple. Just curious if the threads are crazy random or not?

Thad

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online