No time to search, Timing ?

BudLight

Reaction score
What is the best timing meter to use?
Or what is the best style timing meter?

I'm emailing a local guy about a timing meter, getting my truck timed, but I know one meter is more accurate than the other.
He is gonna mail me back soon. Need to know for labor/price negotiations. HELP!

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
IMHO pulse method is best, lum works pretty well but you have to test your fuel for Cetane level to get an accurate reading from the meter.

Any meter with a magnetic pickup. Using an induction timing light adapter will work, but isn't near as accurate.

PM Gary (Icanfixall) and take a road trip.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sorry but I'm not able to help with timing as of this time. Still working on why my meters are broken. We only have one place to get my meters fixed. The ferrit works well. I prefer the computer that found in the Kent Moore J33300-A meters. I have 11 of those meters.. All not working too. All you need to do using them is clean off two locations. Install probes. Power up the meter. Press one rocker switch and rev engine to 2000 rpm. The meter tells you rpm and timing. If you like what you see then the job of timing is done.. If not shut it down and make an adjustment.. Recheck... Simple job. None of the snapon mt 480 or 1480 meters are made any longer and parts are no longer made for them... Ebay has several listed but parts are missing. They wont time by the pulse method or the lumi method..

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you time by the pulse method, you DO NOT, need to know cetane numbers stc, that is for lumonosity testing ( with that you are actually reading the flame in the cylinder with a light sensor and timing after top dead center so cetane numbers are needed to know how fast the fuel is burning)
With a pulse converter, it attaches directly to the injector line at number 1 or 4 and senses the small expansion of the line when the pump fires and converts that to an electric signal that can be detected, in the case of a ferret, by a timing light so you can time it just like a gasser.

For what it would end up costing you to pay someone, who chances are would only bother getting it within the factory allwoed original 8.5+or - 2 deg chances are your truck would still run like crap after spending $100-200 and next time you needed to fool with anything that needed to disturb your pump, guess what, you are out money again. The smart money says to go ahead and purchase a Ferret and a decent advance type timing light and just set the thing at around 9.7 deg btdc and be done with it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score

This meter is missing several parts. Those parts are available but your looking at around $450.00 in parts to make it work.. Even then the meter is clearly not in the best condition. I made a offer several times to the seller.. He or she never got back to me. My offer was $50.00. I explained I wanted this for parts only. I explained I had several of these and I knew how they opersted. So the seller has listed this for a long time thingking they have something someone wants to buy.. Its not happening... Ever. Others have made offers and the seller got back to them and refued the offer.. But at least they got some info back. These meters in better contition can be bought all day long for around 150 to 200 dollars. The J33300 is no longer made. Its the J 33300-A meter thats still made today for around $600.00. They list for $800.00. The missing magnetic probes will cost $375.00 and the clampon probe is around $150.00...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
No.. A new kent moore j333000-a meter is a stand alone meter not needing any other timing lites or parts. Those meters can be used with a timing lite.. With a luminosity probe or the pulse timing probe. They also can be used to time any gas engine with a lite I think... Not really sure but I think so.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes... Thats the kent moore meters I have but... Give kent moore a call. When I did the lady told me she could give me a special deal today only... An 800 bucks meter for 600 bucks... I'lll pass if its a today onlt type deal...