no start still new motor.

Alex G 7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello awhile ago i posted about my 93 f250 not starting with my new motor i really cannot figure it out it apears i have fuel going to the injectors but just cranks and cranks and fires on one cylinder. i know its probably something stupid but i really cant figure it out and i just want my new motor to start :mad:

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could the gear that drives the injection pump be out of time?

Alex G 7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought that my self but lined it up with the timing mark and the pump can really only go on one way

Desert Diesel Dog

Reaction score
Somewhere on here, icanfixall has posted some good pictures of the way the timing gears need to be lined up.

If I remember right, this gear alignment is Not foolproof. I think some people have gotten it '180 out'

Personally, [without being an expert], I would check that.

Alex G 7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea if u use the wrong timing marks I had a diagram in front of me when I was aligning the gears

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
This is the correct gear timing of our engines. Caution because the cam gear has 2 timing marks. A dot and a Y mark. The dot matches up with the crank gear and the Y matches up with the injection pump gear. Now the pump timing marks really mean nothing so don't think just because you installed the pump on the lines to the gear housing its going to be correct. Because your firing on one cylinder I'm thinking its really retarded or 180 degrees out of time. Try advancing the pump before removing the gear cover and gear to check the timing of the cam and injection pump gear. When you look at this pics I'm posting please bring your engine to top dead center number one cylinder. Thats when the damper is lined up on the timing tab. Not look at the gear thru the cover that needs to be removed to loosen the 3 bolts to remove the pump from the gear. See that the drive lug is in this position.

Alex G 7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really need any ideas u guys got so I can just go down the list cause I'm stumped

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Advance the timing about 1/8th inch from where it is now. This was my suggestion in my first post about this no start issue. It wont hurt a thing to be too far advanced to get it started.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a long thread a few posts down he started on the same thing. I quickly went through it, and unless I missed it, he is trying to start the engine without any heat assistance from glowplugs or plugging in the 110v block heater. They told him to try some ether, but I think he might be afraid to use it. I don't think he will ever get it started without adding heat to the cylinders in some form or fashion.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Advance the timing about 1/8th inch from where it is now. This was my suggestion in my first post about this no start issue. It wont hurt a thing to be too far advanced to get it started.

I had my timing set at 10* and had a hard time starting. Set it to 8.5 and made a world of difference.

But yes with NO heat or either you'll never get one of these engines to start even on a warm day. Now I'm sure some of you have had luck with it but if my block is cooler than 100* it won't fire.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If it has a manual trans, try pull starting it. I've pull started one with no glow plugs. When I worked at a shop that rebuilt these engines, we had one that wouldn't start no matter what. WD-40, ether, nothing. Finally we pulled it and it lit right off. Started every time after that, hot, cold, no problems. The customer never had any starting issues either. Sometimes they can just be stubborn.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
When you moved the pump over to the new motor, did you leave the lines connected to the pump? If not, any chance you have the lines in the wrong spots?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it has a manual trans, try pull starting it. I've pull started one with no glow plugs. When I worked at a shop that rebuilt these engines, we had one that wouldn't start no matter what. WD-40, ether, nothing. Finally we pulled it and it lit right off. Started every time after that, hot, cold, no problems. The customer never had any starting issues either. Sometimes they can just be stubborn.

That does work. Don't look behind you though, you would not believe the smoke it belches out when you do this. But it does finally start.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe a Mod can combine the two NO start threads from the OP since he created two, then we can have a single plan to follow along with instead of creating confusion from multiple threads on the same topic?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online