No Power in 96

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it has a dead miss? Have you checked the UVCH?

powerhungry07

Reaction score
Im new to diesesl and my 97 psd is doing the same thing almost to the t. engine light comes on i have no throttle response in rpms and i just coast for 5 secs mayb then light goes off and runs fine. Well fine being under powered lower fuel economy, and very lazy feeling any ideas????:dunno

has 180k miles all stock 5spd if it helps

sethc24

Reaction score
Agree with above post. But it could be the connector inside the valve cover has come off or worked loose or something. I dunno a thought.

mahatma171

Reaction score
Any progress? The UVCH does sound like a likely candidate here. One short in that and that would cause half of your injectors to go silent. Plus it would turn on your CEL. Once the circuit closes, it will run normally and the CEL would go out.

MotleyCrueCab

Registered Abuser
Reaction score
This truck has been put on the back burner until later this week... We start bear baiting this week so i've been working on out Yota Snow runner.... I will give progress updates when i can....

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To check out the UVCH. Just disconnect one side at a time while running, if the engine stalls it's the opposite side that's bad.

MotleyCrueCab

Registered Abuser
Reaction score
One side at a time? THere are 4 connectors, fr, fl, br, bl? So do you mean one corner at a time?

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Late 97's and the S/D's run one plug per side.
If you have a shorted connector and it's running on 4, unplugging the offending connector will let it pick up the other 2 cylinders on that bank.

MotleyCrueCab

Registered Abuser
Reaction score
Its a 96, so as far as i can tell its got 4 connectors. Also on an interesting side note. THe problem is much worse and more consistent when its cold. Went to start the truck today and move it to the shop.... but its too cold won't start . Plug it in for a bit and it starts and does the same run good/ runn crappy thing.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One side at a time? THere are 4 connectors, fr, fl, br, bl? So do you mean one corner at a time?

Just start unplugging one side at a time, you'll see if there is any difference in the engine running. Just be aware there is pulsed 120VAC on those plugs coming from the IDM.

MotleyCrueCab

Registered Abuser
Reaction score
So I think I figured it out.... the front prong on the rear driver side connector is a little burnt. Unplug it and the truck runs on on six cylinders, plug it back it and it runs worse and really ruff, much worse when cold, only occasionally when warm. Does it sound like all I need is the UVCH, or are there any other likely culprits? where's the best place to get the harness, and does anybody have part numbers. the plug is definitely a problem, can i replace just the two plugs, or do i need to do the whole harness?

Thanks

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
where's the best place to get the harness, and does anybody have part numbers. the plug is definitely a problem, can i replace just the two plugs, or do i need to do the whole harness?

Thanks

Valve Cover Harness Repair Kits (contains 4 hard shells w/seals, w/o terminals)
(Ford) F7TZ-14489-BA (94-96)
(Ford) F7TZ-14489-AA (97)
(International) 1830829C91 removal tool and Shells w/o pins
(International) 1661875C1 Pins
(International) 2501055C1 Pins with 6" wire

Valve cover harness replacement terminals:
Industry P/N 103935; Winzer Distributing (1-800-527-4126) selection number D52

Valve Cover Gasket (94-97)
(Ford) F4TZ-6584-A
(International) 1818350C2

Valve Cover Harness, under valve cover
(Ford) F4TZ-9D930-K (94-97)
(International) 1815923C92 (94-97)

MotleyCrueCab

Registered Abuser
Reaction score
Got the truck working. Pulled of the Valve cover and the plug was burnt and almost crumbling away. Called the ford dealer and he told me it would be about $600 for the part from them, but that they actually get it from the local O'Rilies auto parts store. $72 later and she's running good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726