NO MORE GLOWPLUGS?

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Make a spacer that fits between the intake and air filter assembly/turbo bonnet, wire the grid or grids up with an adjustable timer.

Edit: You know it's Friday, argve said the same thing.:idiot::frustrate

Last edited:

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
I was planning to do exactly as said and just gut the GP. I just dont know how soon till I do this project. A could use the water method to check for volume. Another idea I have been pondering is to use a small pieces of capped tubing of what ever the desired volume to make a guaranteed drop. Imagine bolt on external compression drop for the IDI:thumbsup:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I asked a while ago in my "advanced timing" thread. I was wondering if you could advance the timing a little more with the lower compression (and not having to deal with hurting glow plugs). That is something to look into as well. With lower compression, you can advance the timing a little more, for some more power.

What is the cc^3 with the piston at TDC? Figure that out, then figure out what the CC^3 of the glow plug tip is, and we should be set to figure out how much it would lower the compression.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
OK, let's combine all this. Grid heaters, high torque/speed starter, advanced timing, lower compression. Sounds good to me.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
i read on one of these forums advanced timing a little to much eats glow plugs but also the pre cups, anyone know any truth behind the pre cup thing?

Metalmacguyver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, the volume of a glow plug tip, is 0.51025cc.

I divide 7.3 by 8 to get 912.5cc per cylinder.

Divide that by 22 to get the volume of the cylinder when the piston is at TDC. = 41.4772cc

Delete the glow plug tip and add the 0.51025cc to 41.4772 and get 41.98745cc

912.5/41.98745 = 21.73

So according to my rough calculations the compression ratio would not drop by much, to only 21.73

Thoughts?

Last edited:

runaway!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think one or two actual grid heaters from a Cummins would be the best option. Anybody have a picture of one?

I actually bought one with the intention of installing it, but someone on this forum told me of another method that should work better:

Using a few champion CH3 "glow coil"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001S8WPGK

Could have several of these hooked to the old GP relay on a push button, and as mentioned - leave some cut GPs in the OEM locations to act as plugs.

Just keep them located above the crankcase regulator so they don't get covered in oil, or vent the crank to the atmosphere and drill/tap into the intake manifold

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist