NO MORE GLOWPLUGS?

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
How much compression do you lose by removing the glowplugs? Can a couple of high powered grid heaters be enough to light the motor off, if the compression and injection system are healthy?

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your compression would go down to zero if you removed all glow plugs. When you do a compression check on the engine you use the glow plug ports to check it.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're all so technical. LOL

What's your gas milage like?

Um... I get zero MPG on gas. LOL

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I always thought it was infinite... I can put a gallon can of gas in the bed and drive until doomsday with it back there and never use a drop....

Metalmacguyver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So we need an accurate measurment of the volume of a glow plug and some one that has the time to do the math to recalculate the compression ratio..........

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
So we need an accurate measurment of the volume of a glow plug and some one that has the time to do the math to recalculate the compression ratio..........

Plus the void not filled by the plug also.

My thinking has me wondering where the grid heaters could be placed to work effectively.:dunno

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it would have to go under the turbo intake hat. If you had an intercooled rig, somewhere further upstream would definitely not work! LOL The "plug" would have to go all the way in and seat the same way a glow plug does. Probably the easiest way would be to try and modify a glow plug by gutting it and welding the end of it shut.

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
I think the best way to go about this would be to use a glow plug... as the plug... just chop the tip off and maybe bore the middle a little bit. That way there is no doubt that it is threaded and seated properly. Then take the junk you cut/broke off and put it in a graduated cylinder and measure the displacement. Then some maths!

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
It is not the temperature of a specific point which matter, it is the overall energy put into the system which does. Just because the tip of the glowplug hits 1000F(I think it is around there) does not mean much. If you are shooting for a grid heater design, I would work to create a system which draws about the same amount or more energy than the glow plugs.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
1320Cummins brought it up in the "idi's for medium duty's" thread, and the glowplugs in his S1600 don't work. I mean it would be a pretty quick way to drop the compression a little.
Think it might be enough to drop it 1-1.5 points?

I'll toss an idea out. Drill the intake manifold front to back in the middle of the runners on each side and install some heating elements.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would think one or two actual grid heaters from a Cummins would be the best option. Anybody have a picture of one?

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
They are square-ish about 3" by 3" with contact posts on the side. Check ebay for pictures. You would have to do a little work to make them work on an IDI but anything is possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Members online