No brake lights

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I tried searching to find an old post but most guys all the lights or turn lights were off with the brake lights. My problem is just no brake lights? I'm getting 12v and power to mt brake switch and 12v back to my plug under the truck but no power when brakes are applied there? Any help would be great thank you! Also I did replace the brake peddle switch but nothing

Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be your turn signal switch in the column. All the tail light functions go through it including the flashers and the turn signals.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Doesn't the NSS also run the reverse light?
Are something like that could also get some led bumper lights and use them instead :dunno

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I had that problem on my old truck, turned out the wires had corroded by the plug at the rear of the bed (due to the scotch-lok bandit having struck in that area), I cut them and spliced them where there was good copper and it fixed the problem

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had that problem on my old truck, turned out the wires had corroded by the plug at the rear of the bed (due to the scotch-lok bandit having struck in that area), I cut them and spliced them where there was good copper and it fixed the problem

Those damn things should be illegal.

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you guys recommend to pin point the problem test light or multimeter I know there are some high tech test lights

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have several of both and the situation dictates which one I use. I use the light for checking that voltage is present in a wire. If I care what that voltage is, I use the meter.

Dave

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i use a multi meter 100% of the time.
just the way i do things.

the very first thing i would do is pull the tail lights, and check for power at the light itself
a bulb could be bad.

do your running/turn signal lights work?
if so, GREAT, but remember, the brake and turn signal are a different element than the running lights

my truck had both rear bulbs burnt out when i got it.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On his truck stop, 4 ways and turn are the same circuit. Tail lights are on the parking lights circuit along with the dash lights.

I'm with IDIoit on the meter. It will tell you anything the test light will and more.

Weren't you the guy with all the steering column/ignition switch problems before?

I had to change the switch in my 88 I believe to get my brake lights to work. Either that or the horn. Now I'm not sure. It all goes through the multifunction (I.e. Turn signal) switch under the steering wheel. If the turn signals work or the 4 ways work it might not be the switch but if they don't, that's where I would start. You have to pull the steering wheel but that's a 5 min job with the right puller. 2 5/16" fine thread bolts are required for the threaded holes in the wheel btw. That size is not typically in a generic puller kit which is why I mention it.

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys yes I was the one with the column but I did replace the old column with another one. One day the guys were following me and said the break lights were out so I played with the plug and they worked again. All my hazards etc do work just not my break lights. If I'm not mistaken the wires go from peddle to column and then back to the back of the truck? I was wondering if there are grounds in the back of the truck and if it was a ground would it only affect the break lights or everything?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To the best of my recollection, you have the basic wiring scheme down.

If the other functions work, it's probably the brake light switch on the pedal. I think they are a known weak point on these trucks. The back half of the truck is fine if the turn and hazards work right. It has to be up either in the stop light switch or the column. Stop light switch is just a contact switch I believe. You should be able to pull the connector and jump the leads. If the brake lights come on, there is your answer.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the switch first. It's a lot easier than the column.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since you recently changed the column, I would start there. You are wasting time and effort if you begin else where. Check the column first and then move on to the other areas.

Dave :)