NMB2 dyno

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Really impressing numbers for sure. Never hitting 1000 degrees kinda tells me there is more hidden hp in this build. Finding out where its hiding is the tuff R&R work. My best guess is timing or fuel delievery. Finding out if the amount of fuel can actually reach the engine is a good place to start. Finding a shop that can tell you what the pump is putting out wil be tuff to find. Most claibration machines that will tell you what a pump is doing costs above $25,000.00 and a shop may not want to run your "used and modified pump" on thier machine. Any dirt from your pump will ruin the calibration machine. Still very impressive numbers and plenty of room for improvements. No way has this build hit a block wall on hp and torque.

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im more interested in the longevity of the engine rather than more power. Id be extremely happy with 300/600 if it holds together.

Whats the guy planning on doing with it?? How often does he drive it??

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn! 300HP 600ft/lbs is pretty darn good for the ol IDI. I hope he can work it out with Ken to figure out why his power is still lower than it should be. Like he said, 2hp/cc is not that great, if its actually putting out 150cc. I wonder if something else is holding him back, like his fuel pump or injectors?

Either way, I'm really happy with this build and would like to see more people follow in his footsteps so this becomes a simpler and cheaper process.

One thing to note is that he does have room to grow. He has pretty low egts and needs to add more fuel. He is now planning on 200cc of fuel if Ken goes fo it, so for pretty close to the same price, even at a low estimate of 2hp/cc, he can hit 400hp on fuel only. That makes the ROI worth it to me.

As for his fuel pump, its not hold him back. He has a SD pump regulated down to iirc 6 or 7psi and it is boost referenced. At full throttle, he gets 14psi of fuel pressure. Its a pretty uniques setup. As for his injectors, it could be a possibility but not extremely likely. He has slightly more honed injectors than the Dps stage 1s. But idk if that would hold him back. Maybe the injector line bore could be a restriction. Who knows... Nobody has really pushed an idi this far and provided as much info as Justin has. I do think it is a possibility that its more likely the Ip not pushing the full 150cc. Justin thinks its more like 130cc... But that's still not bad and he made good power to boot.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Let's see... he took a 25+ year old design and made better numbers than my '07 D-max did... yeah- I would call that a success!!

I hauled a lot of heavy loads with the D-max and 350/650 is MORE than enough in any pickup truck.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really impressing numbers for sure. Never hitting 1000 degrees kinda tells me there is more hidden hp in this build. Finding out where its hiding is the tuff R&R work. My best guess is timing or fuel delievery. Finding out if the amount of fuel can actually reach the engine is a good place to start. Finding a shop that can tell you what the pump is putting out wil be tuff to find. Most claibration machines that will tell you what a pump is doing costs above $25,000.00 and a shop may not want to run your "used and modified pump" on thier machine. Any dirt from your pump will ruin the calibration machine. Still very impressive numbers and plenty of room for improvements. No way has this build hit a block wall on hp and torque.

Yep it definitely need more fuel with those low egts. And yes there is plenty more room too. I'm with ya on that...

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
It looks like somebody parked MY motorhome in the back of that shop :backoff

Good numbers though. I would be shickled titless if I had that kind of power in an IDI. He's almost up there with a stock 6.7, for a LOT less money.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let's see... he took a 25+ year old design and made better numbers than my '07 D-max did... yeah- I would call that a success!!

I hauled a lot of heavy loads with the D-max and 350/650 is MORE than enough in any pickup truck.

Exactly, he's pushing close to what most newer trucks are pushing. That's a good ROI if you ask me. His build was a lot cheaper than buying a new truck plus its got a cool, uniqueness factor too.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Did he do the Gary oil pressure spring shim mod? I think Gary is the only one tonmess with that. I think higher oil pressure would believe bottom end, or at least that was the conclusion of some correct?

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
LMAO...
He claimed 321 RWHP on his old build with how much invested?
Now he has 292 RWHP on this build with how much invested?
He also stated that dynojet gives inflated numbers.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Exactly, he's pushing close to what most newer trucks are pushing. That's a good ROI if you ask me. His build was a lot cheaper than buying a new truck plus its got a cool, uniqueness factor too.

yes his build was WAY cheaper than a bone stock new truck, but you have to remember that he did/had friends do a lot of the fab work. he also got SMOKING deals on everything. i don't know the retail on one of those turbos but for $100 i think he did pretty good on it.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online