Nitrous

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for the sake of discussion on a fri night, anybody know someone whos tried it on an IDI?

Once again coming from the gasser world its different plumbing wise trying to imagine setting something up for our motors. How much could a stock motor take? What kind of bottom ends are on the 7.3s?? I know the 6.9s are thicker and have good internals.

And in case you dont get the hint from the sig, my rigs a dd'n work truck so no such idiocracy is in its future.:eek:

Again, just for the sake of discussion...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
All the internal rotating parts in any 6.9 or 7.3 engine is the same part. The crank, rods and cam are the same so you can swap them from engine to engine. Only the turbo rods are differant but they will still hang on the crank fine. You just need custom pistons made for it. These bottom ends wil handle whatever you throw at them easily. They are built strong and heavy. Nobody here has done the nitrous yet but its possible...

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the internal rotating parts in any 6.9 or 7.3 engine is the same part. The crank, rods and cam are the same so you can swap them from engine to engine. Only the turbo rods are differant but they will still hang on the crank fine. You just need custom pistons made for it. These bottom ends wil handle whatever you throw at them easily. They are built strong and heavy. Nobody here has done the nitrous yet but its possible...

Ok well thats good to know.

What about plumbing? Could you turn up the pump or get one that flows more to add extra fuel and just do a "dry" set up?? Or if a "wet" set up would be prefferable what style?? Are the motors able to take fuel straight into the manifold?? I know they are not designed that way but its done on gassers all the time with injectors??

If the motors are as strong as you say what do you think is the most they could take (NA of course)?? Theres a big difference in 50 and 250...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Injecting diesel directly into the intake manifold will not work. The intake valve is closed long befor the piston reaches the top for combustion. I do not feel even if you could inject diesel into the intake air charge it would fir at the correct time. The piston is making the sucked in air charge hot enough for the diesel to ignite. Then the injector is allowed to pump in a measured amount at a designed advance to top dead center piston location in the stroke. Sounds kinda complex but its really simple mechanical diesel injection...

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think he meant where to 'inject' the nox :D

propane goes through the intake just fine...

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think if you were to inject or mist diesel into the manifold it would cause preignition from the fact that the fuel is in the system before the typical injection time of 8*btdc. Nitrous will work wonders all by itself..:peelout

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you continually inject enough fuel into the intake, you will have a RUNAWAY ENGINE. There is only one way to STOP it, that is to SHUT OFF the air.

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't injecting extra fuel into the manifold cause hydrolock, in that the extra fuel makes it's way into the cylinder (atomized or not) and on account of it's non compressable nature, prevents the piston from reaching the top of it's movement and ends up bending the rod or worse yet, breaking something and getting the engine ventilated? That's what I see in my mental tv...

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
It would seem to m to be essentially the same as an over productive water/**** setup, and yes hydrolock.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I asked this question many many moons ago, over on TDS. The only response I got was from a guy who said that they like nitrous, but not alot. He said if he injected to low in the rpm's or to much, the motor would stop running. He was N/A

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
From what I remember too much actually cools down the intake charge to the point of doing more harm than good.

Like Justin mentioned it will actually stop the engine.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
NOX is not a liquid, it is a gas mixture that does two things (in a gasser): It injects extra oxygen to help burn more fuel, and the extra nitrogen helps jack up the compression ratio.

In a diesel, it may help in small quantities, like a part time turbocharger. But it is more likely to create problems as previously stated (cooling effect on fuel charge). Since it does not burn, there is no problem injecting it into the intake manifold, but it is a great oxidizer, so anything near it that does burn (and is ignited) will burn really hot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online