nitrous is like a HOT chick with an STD, you want to hit it hard but youre afraid to.

acousticrawk

Reaction score
when i do studs, should i just go ahead and replace the HG's too? or just pull a bolt, add a stud, one at a time? and i would only do a NOS or LPG to a turbo'd truck. now, this dual injection thing. how in the hell is that safe??? haha. im not trying to catch the HIV. i just want some good fun power and smoke some tires at traffic light easily w/o powerbraking and look kool doing it. im sure anyone can respect that. haha.

JourneymanD

Reaction score
Been ponderin it myself....

Has anybody tried using nitrous fogged into the intake tube at the grille and added extra fuel in the form of propane in the air cleaner just before the intake? My thought wasn't to chill the intake charge as much as it was to get the O2 into a higher concentration (I read the posts about the idea of straight O2... yikes!!! I've seen what ignition sources around an O2 rich enviro can do.) and adding more fuel to burn it. Kind of like adding more fuel to burn the higher O2 charge the boost from the turbo makes...???

I was wondering not as a "burst" shot but as an assist for a few more ponies pulling a long grade with a heavy load (kinda like **** inj to cool/increase density and propane inj to increase fuel while needed). I have a NA E350 w/a 7.3IDI, and was wondering if NOX/propane might be an option instead of a turbo (turbo kit for a van is pricey, and not readily available used as most guys seem to have the F series trucks). The van pulls great on the flats at 70-80 mph at about 20K CGVW of truck, trailer & load... but it's a slug up the 7-8% grades though, and I would like to at least hold around 50 if I could.

Anybody with some experience with this idea(Good or Bad?) have some input?

I too agree with the HOT CHICK W/STDs vs. NOX... Cracks me up every time i hear it. i heard 'just not sure about the consequences...'

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Has anybody tried using nitrous fogged into the intake tube at the grille and added extra fuel in the form of propane in the air cleaner just before the intake? My thought wasn't to chill the intake charge as much as it was to get the O2 into a higher concentration (I read the posts about the idea of straight O2... yikes!!! I've seen what ignition sources around an O2 rich enviro can do.) and adding more fuel to burn it. Kind of like adding more fuel to burn the higher O2 charge the boost from the turbo makes...???

I was wondering not as a "burst" shot but as an assist for a few more ponies pulling a long grade with a heavy load (kinda like **** inj to cool/increase density and propane inj to increase fuel while needed). I have a NA E350 w/a 7.3IDI, and was wondering if NOX/propane might be an option instead of a turbo (turbo kit for a van is pricey, and not readily available used as most guys seem to have the F series trucks). The van pulls great on the flats at 70-80 mph at about 20K CGVW of truck, trailer & load... but it's a slug up the 7-8% grades though, and I would like to at least hold around 50 if I could.

Anybody with some experience with this idea(Good or Bad?) have some input?

I too agree with the HOT CHICK W/STDs vs. NOX... Cracks me up every time i hear it. i heard 'just not sure about the consequences...'

To a certain extent I would think that it would work, but you would come to a point were you were adding to much of both and things would let loose. I would think that you wouldnt need to seperate the LPG and NOX, cooling down the intake charge would be a good thing, and I dont see anything wrong with mixing it in the same area.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The ARP studs that fit our 7.3 motor are part number AR7.00-1LB at $8.45 each without nuts or washers. They are about 1/4 inch too long but they fit fine. Both Typ4 (Russ) and I are running them. They are 200,000 lbs psi where the new Ford head bolts are only 153,000 lbs psi breaking strength. If you run the nitrous it is not flamable but it does add more oxygen to the combustion process. Propane is a catylist that helps burn all the diesel as has been already posted. Both will get you moving but for how long. I wouldn't try it on a daily driver but a weekend soot bath to some nasty ricers would be fine...... Come and get your free soot baths.... If you have dual exhaust theres no waiting.....:D

JourneymanD

Reaction score
adding to much of both and things would let loose.

I'm not looking for "balls out", just a conservative "nudge". Even if I had a turbo(which I would love but ain't got the $$$) I wouldn't be getting crazy with the boost. I dont have the $$$ for a turbo so consequently I dont have the $$$ to unscatter the pieces. I already had to replace the engine(cavitation). Been down 6 months & cost lots of $$$, but should be running again this by this weekend. I didn't have $$$ to do that, but I NEED the truck!!!

acousticrawk

Reaction score
The ARP studs that fit our 7.3 motor are part number AR7.00-1LB at $8.45 each without nuts or washers. They are about 1/4 inch too long but they fit fine. Both Typ4 (Russ) and I are running them. They are 200,000 lbs psi where the new Ford head bolts are only 153,000 lbs psi breaking strength. If you run the nitrous it is not flamable but it does add more oxygen to the combustion process. Propane is a catylist that helps burn all the diesel as has been already posted. Both will get you moving but for how long. I wouldn't try it on a daily driver but a weekend soot bath to some nasty ricers would be fine...... Come and get your free soot baths.... If you have dual exhaust theres no waiting.....:D

so on a tubro engine, you just fog the NOZ and LPG at the same time and in the same place? i down want to use it under daily circumstances, def. just for soot bagging some tasty rice. i think i will just run propane if i can get some feedback on it for the turbo'd apps. i wont get somehting that isnt turbo'd. i like the idea of propane, i just want to get a real kit so its instant power and not a slow partial flooding of the intake like thet one guys DIY kit. NOS is way to expensive. id just like to hit the propane on the hills when pulling and for cooking rice, or showing off for you favorite, every day fat chick.

and on the head studs... should i replace the HG's also? or just do one stud at a time in replaceent for the bolts? also, do you just put the stud in finger tight and crank down on the washer/nut? how do you install them? thanks for the info on the head studs.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
Darrin Tosh was running propane in this vid on his 7.3 IDI turbo. Jim Madden (whatever happened to him?) was also running propane on a 7.3 IDIT.

You must be registered for see images attach

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
yes you wantto replace the head gaskets. you will have to pull the heads anyway because the bolts in the back hit the firewall when you pull them out so you have to use rubber bands and pre-install those back bolts/studs in the head before setting the heads in place.

sassyrel

Reaction score
Jim Madden (whatever happened to him?) was also running propane on a 7.3 IDIT.

now thats a right good question---as when we went to the grand rapids meet-wife and i made friends with them---seems he just disappeared---maybe darren knows????????? and yes--he was running propane--as he explained it to me---

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I second what Rob said. As for doing drugs, remember that WOT on these engines is not the same as a gasser in the sense that your changing the amount of air going in. On a diesel the amount of air going in is always the same (and usually not enough LOL). The introduction of propane requires a certain RPM range to make it effective as a power additive. If your thinking it's going to help you do burnouts, I'd think again. What it's most effective at is enhancing acceleration or getting over that short hill with something in tow. EGT's will definitely climb if used for a long period, so this is definitely a burst technology that does result in seat of the pants improvement. It's also about the only add-on that will really help a non-turbo'd engine to any degree. Combined with water injection, you might really get some power. Remember, the propane only helps burn the diesel that is in there. If you don't have smoke, the propane isn't going to have any fuel to help burn.

acousticrawk

Reaction score
how does water injection work??? that sounds alot more scary to me than propane!

on the head gaskets... is there anyone you would reccommend for a strong head gasket?

in that video, is that a stock PSD? is there anyway we can match or make a IDI that will out run a PSD like that?

Last edited:

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Here is my dyno results with and without LPG

First pull, no LPG
HP 183.15 Torque 325.45

2nd and 3rd pull with LPG

HP 205.35 Torque 362.64
HP 205.51 Torque 361.55

So 22.96 increase in HP
and 37.19 increase in Torque.

Here is the thread:

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17961&highlight=dyno

I ran LPG for 5 years on that motor, yes I blew a head gasket in the end but it was going for a while, and I was usually not easy on it.

The LPG system that I am running it an ON or OFF system, it does not add more LPG at higher boost like the high end units do. But it does work there are the numbers to proove it, and it is power that you can feel by the seat of your pants.