Newb question- IDI or PSD?

HELLRAIZER

Reaction score
Right now i found a couple good deals on a '94 7.3 IDI f-350 crewcab 4x4 and a '95 f-350 PSD dually crewcab 2wd. which motor is better for torque? which motor can get better MPG? which motor has a better rep? least amount of problems? easiest maintenance? more reliable? best aftermarket selection? Etc...

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
PSD will be more efficient, and make more power, but an IDI will be easier to maintain by the owner that doesn't own a scanner, but one thing to remember, the last IDI rolled off of the assembly line almost 16 years ago. PSD Has WAY more aftermarket "goodies" than the IDI which has almost none, and no one seams to be interested in making any either. The IDI is a good engine, as long as it has been maintained properly, same goes for an OBS PSD. One thing you will hear is the a PSD cost WAY more than an IDI to fix. A set of injectors and a injection pump for an IDI will cost about $800. and a set of injectors for a 7.3 PSD will cost about $1100.(no need to buy a mech. Injection pump). A cheap programmer or chip for a PSD will set you back about $300, you'll have to talk to user Agnem for a price on high performance IP and injectors for an IDI.

Last edited:

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I think your getting yourself into a hot debate between the strokers and the IDIers but I will try with little bias to answer.

a slightly modded IDI can outpreform a stock OBS PSD. Idis are generally easier to work on and the parts (when available) are cheaper. IDI's are mechanical-no computers while PSD are computer controlled. I'm not sure MPG is a big seller for a CC dually 1 ton truck but I think both can get decent mileage. I think least amount of problems is almost totally dependant on the PO's maintenence (oil changes, general care etc) However Cavitation is a big problem with the IDIs. If the PO didnt run any additives in the coolant it can cause a major rebuild. What are you going to be using the truck for? You can Mod a PSD to get a lot more torque but an IDI with a good turbo and intercooler (not the factory ATS) can pull its weight with the best of them.

HELLRAIZER

Reaction score
what would be the best mods in order to get the most MPG out of a '95 PSD?

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
what would be the best mods in order to get the most MPG out of a '95 PSD?

Open airfilter element (napa 6643) 3" down pipe to 4" exhaust. A custom tuned chip(DPTuner,Tony Wildman, Edge,) Banks stuff is ok, but over priced. ;Sweet

HELLRAIZER

Reaction score
what about a tuner? (SCT, hypertech, bullydog, superchips, diablosport, granetelli, etc...)

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
I had a Hypertech, I put it in my dads stock 97, gave a little more power, but not much. I don't have any experience with the others.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I've had both as well. My IDI was pretty hopped up & was building 11-15 psi of boost. It ran great & could easily overcome a stock PSD but once you start adding power goodies to a PSD its a whole different matter. IDI are much less expensive to own tho. It really boils down to what you wanna do with it.

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well since you are looking for a good deal, get the 94. 4x4 and the d60 are good enough to over come the psd. But you have left out some critical details. Where do you live, how many miles and most importantly, IS THERE ANY SERVICE HISTORY?? Answer these and we might be able to better help you make a deci9sion

redthies

Reaction score
I am in the same boat! I am looking at two trucks right now. A 96 PSD with ZF5 in a F350 4x4 and a 94 idi ZF5 in a F350 4x4. The 94 has no history as it is at a dealer. The 96 has a loving owner, but the cost of future maintenance is scaring me as I don't have a ton of cash lying around. What to do?

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
All comes down to how much you wanna spend. I was in the market for a ford diesel and i settled with a 99 psd. I was lookin at IDIs too. No matter what you go after you will have a great motor IMO as long as they were takin care of. Mine had service records and was a fleet truck so i know mine was takin care of. Over 245K on mine and still goin strong. Its simplicity (IDI) vs complexity (PSD). I like the PSD's better since the aftermarket has a good hold on them. The truck will wear out before the motor does no matter which way you go.