New U joint issues.

Brian085

Reaction score
I went to change my u-joints today. The drive shaft came off the truck easy. The old u-joints even came out easy. But when putting the new u joints in I ran into some issues. One of the major ones is that the u-joint went into the yoke part of the driveshaft crooked and caused a ridge inside it. What should I do from here? Grind the ridge down? Could this cause the u-joint cap the be loose? Or just find a new drive shaft?

If I need a new one dose it have to be one from a 133" wheel base auto trans diesel or are they universal between different ones?

I wanted to changed the u-joints because I was hearing a noise which kind of sounded like a jolt but only happened once and only when accelerating from a stop.

So any input would be great so I can get my drive shaft back in the truck!

Thanks.

It is the rear drive shaft BTW.

1992 F-250 7.3 IDI E4OD 4X4

Last edited:

c_silva88

Reaction score
i had that happen to my old superduty while on a job site i ended up using a round file and filing the ridge down probally drove it 20k before i sold it and never had an issue with it

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I say carfully FILE it down...don't enlarge the size of the ujoint cap hole....just take off the burr....

Assemble and prepare for worst case scenario....meaning may have to replace DS...and yes..from same truck as far as I know.

Al

Brian085

Reaction score
I'll give it a shot and try to file it down and press in some new joints. I would just hope it would be okay and if not I hope it doesn't mess up the differential yoke. It is on the differential side that the issue is on.

Brian085

Reaction score
Well I was able to get the u-joints in. The one joint by the slip yoke seems to turn with a little less freely than the other. is that normal? Maybe it needs grease?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, grease it. They don't always come with enough or quality grease in them. Especially chain store brand joints. I alway grease the mortal **** out of new joints with quality grease before install......... even with spicer joints.

Also, are you sure none of the needle bearings didn't get damaged during installation? If it still is binding after a good dose of grease....... hate to say it, but I'd pull the joint and caps and have a good look for any bearing damage.

Heath

Black dawg

Reaction score
take your hammer and whack on the driveshaft yokes. it will help loosen up the joints.

and yes, grease the crap out of them

Brian085

Reaction score
They don't bind. It's just that in some directions turn more freely. Like with little effort while another has the slightest bit more resistance. It moves all the way any direction but just some ways are feeling a tad bit more resistance turning if that makes sense?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I can't see anything wrong with it, maybe you hammered more on that side. If it comes with a grease zerk put some grease in it and drive it, that will loosen it up. What did You use to install them?
When You install a U joint You can use some antisieze around the caps so they will slide in the yoke with ease, make always sure the grove for the lock ring is clean and the ring/clip sits all the way IN.

Brian085

Reaction score
A couple taps of the hammer loosened them up. I'll have to double check the ring clips are all the way in. They all look to be in. I don't see much more room to press the caps in further even if needed.

I was using a ball joint/u joint install kit. Pretty much a giant C-clamp

I need to get a needle grease fitting since these are not the standard ones my grease gun will fit on to. The grease fitting is on the end of the cap.

I'll try to install the drive shaft back in and take it for a drive and hope no more noises!