New trans and what about filtering???

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello.
Putting in my new Tranny in the truck today, and I stopped to think about filtering... Id like to put a filter inline after the cooler, but I don't see much options... any ideas??? I do see a filter on ebay that newer ford F250-550 trucks use, or thats what the ebay ad said... anyone use one. Looks simple, screw canister with element inside..

thx

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup the napa guy found a remote style for me... the kind that mounts to the inner fenderwell or firewall... I just didnt know if anyone had bette ideas...

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would put it in the line to the cooler, it is better to filter hot oil. I have a couple allison trans filter bases kicking around if you need something on the cheap.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Perma-cool filter base that takes a Ford 1A spin on type filter on mine. Even has a port for the temp sender. Got it from Summit.

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got mine as a kit from Summit but after checking Jegs is cheaper. Only about $15 for the filter head. Summit came with line and barbs but they weren't the right size so I just got some spare parts.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks guys for the thoughts of summit/jegs... I dont see the $15 unit you speak of. Seems moste are about $40, one even comes with a gauge...

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would put it in the line to the cooler, it is better to filter hot oil. I have a couple allison trans filter bases kicking around if you need something on the cheap.

thats the 2nd time Ive heard of filter on hot side... must be because hot oil flows better then cool???

does that filter base have a port for a gauge... if so I will take one

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
thats the 2nd time Ive heard of filter on hot side... must be because hot oil flows better then cool???

Also because the filter can cause the line pressure to increase a little and you want that happening between the filter and the tranny, and not inside the cooler in your radiator. After the filter, the pressure drops in most trannys to pretty much nothing as it just runs back to the pan.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's better to put the filter after the cooler.Any crud left in the cooler can trash a new tranny.
thats what the trans shop said... they have there little inline filter looks like one of those little fuel filters with an in and out on opposite ends. I took the comments about summit, and found this nice add on filter. It also has a port for the temp gauge I want to get. Thats another reason to be pre cooler, so I know what the temp is out of the TC.

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what its worth thats the filter I bought, it says it has a port and a plug but it really just has a spot you can drill and tap. Pissed me off but I needed to use it to make and install my new tranny lines so I said ***** it and never called Summit, I'm sure they would have taken care of it but I was in a hurry. Didn't have the money for a temp gauge anyways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online