New to Trailer Brakes

DeeseSR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a dumb question with a little background. I have a trailer that has mobile home axles under it, but I have never hooked up the brakes. With getting ready to move to Ca from NC how do I get the brakes on the trailer working. I am about to install a new brake controller in the truck too, any suggestions. The trailer wieghs 2,000 lbs and the wifes Yukon wieghs 5,000 lbs. The trailer is a tripple axle but the back axle doesn't have brakes. I have had 16,000 lbs on this trailer before and not had problems until I hit the brakes. I don't want to repeat that episode. Any info would be great thanks.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the exception of the magnets, the insides will look like and function like any ordinary drum brakes.

They most likely will be good as new since they have never been hooked up.

Take a jumper wire and test each magnet individually; you will have to spin the wheel, as an electric brake does nothing until the magnet against the drum spreads the shoes.

Ground the magnets to the frame.

Unhook and replace any magnets that don't work.

Check that the brake shoes, springs, etc. are in good shape.

Pack the bearings.

Run new wires to the trailer plug; then to the brake control and test the brakes.

Don't expect much as electric brakes are a joke.

Any thing I missed, maybe someone else will clear up.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MIDNIGHT RIDER said:
With the exception of the magnets, the insides will look like and function like any ordinary drum brakes.

They most likely will be good as new since they have never been hooked up.

Take a jumper wire and test each magnet individually; you will have to spin the wheel, as an electric brake does nothing until the magnet against the drum spreads the shoes.

Ground the magnets to the frame.

Unhook and replace any magnets that don't work.

Check that the brake shoes, springs, etc. are in good shape.

Pack the bearings.

Run new wires to the trailer plug; then to the brake control and test the brakes.

Don't expect much as electric brakes are a joke.

Any thing I missed, maybe someone else will clear up.

Electric brakes a joke?

The one on both my horse trailers, without truck brakes applied, would stop the truck AND trailer. Granted, the small trailer (pulled by a half ton) had newly rebuilt brakes. The large trailer in my sig, pulled by sig truck, had new brakes...

Old brakes don't work too well, I've noticed....

Exekiel69

Reaction score
pulled more than 18k with electric brakes, it makes me feel like there is no trailer.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kennyd said:
Please explian your position on this?

Too many electrical connections to fail, for one thing.

No good whatsoever for holding a standing trailer on a hill due to the very means of their application.E.G. The wheel must roll to enable the magnet to spread the shoes. Also, the magnet can slip against the drum face allowing the trailer to creep.

When hauling in freezing conditions, the first time you stop for fuel, or whatever reason, the slush built up around the tires will freeze to the brake wires. When the tire rolls, it will pull the wires in two and for the rest of the trip = no brakes.

I have fried several controllers when having to hold brakes on a hill for more than a few seconds.

Magnets will wear through to the copper winding. When this happens to one, it kills them all. It must be found and the wires to it cut to enable the remaining brakes to work. The only way to find it is to pull the drums and visually inspect.

I make my living pulling big goosenecks, and have since 1978.

I could list a book of the shortcomings of electric brakes.

If I own a trailer of any size it will have vacuum- over-hydraulic brakes.

I am not knocking anyone elses choice of brakes and some will swear by electric brakes; but I have no confidence in them at all.

Some like the new Electdraulic; but they have no provision for vacuum boost.

rip van sparky

Reaction score
I used to not have any faith in electric either. Then I rolled my work van pulling a load of I-beams that started to fishtail that I could have straightened out w/ brakes. I completely went through the brakes after that and I realized that they must be correctly adjusted to work. When they are adjusted they work great. Adjusting them fairly often is the key to brake success. I have been around all kinds of trailers for many years and have only seen one with vac/hyd brakes. I would think that there would be plenty of failure modes with them as well, quick connect seals, hoses, Hyd. leaks, you name it. I have never pulled one with them so I am curious as to the performance.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rip van sparky said:
I have never pulled one with them so I am curious as to the performance.

My truck, trailer, and big load of cattle will stop quicker with vacuum-over-hydraulics than the naked truck itself.

I have a hand control that I can park the truck-trailer combo with the trailer brakes applied so long as the truck engine is idling to provide vacuum.

The only thing better is air-brakes.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't understand this "the wheels have to turn for the magnet to spread the shoes" thing. Maybe that's the case with some electric brakes, but on my RV, and I imagine most RV's made since 1990, if you apply power, you've got brakes, rolling or not. As others have said, I can lock up the trailer brakes at any speed, and stop the truck with them too.

sassyrel

Reaction score
friend bought trailer that i dont think brakes were ever hooked up--on one axle only--got the parts for the other axle--rewired it--cleaned the old drums of rust--then went down the road dragging the brakes to clean drums totally--then readjusted the brakes--with load--and trailer only--will stop near suddenly---???????????? they work-----

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agnem said:
I don't understand this "the wheels have to turn for the magnet to spread the shoes" thing. Maybe that's the case with some electric brakes, but on my RV, and I imagine most RV's made since 1990, if you apply power, you've got brakes, rolling or not. As others have said, I can lock up the trailer brakes at any speed, and stop the truck with them too.
The magnet grabs the inside face of the drum, as the drum rotates the magnet is moves the actuating lever and applies the brakes. The the drum only needs to rotate an inch for the brakes to be fully applied. The amount of brake force is determined by when the magnet starts slipping as the drum is turned, and the magnetic force is controlled by the voltage applied to the magnets.

One thing that can determine how much the trailer brakes work when stopped is the brake controller. The old hydraulic controller are going to apply regardless of moving or not. The timed or pulse type should be the same. However the pendulum type will be limited if any since it does not sense the truck slowing down.

picture of an electric brake

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online