new to the IDI....sorta....

LOGANSTANFORTH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im possibly buying a 6.9 powered extended cab F350 dually automatic 2wd next week, what is the biggest things i should look for when driving it??, what kind of mileage to expect from it??, i think i can get it for pretty cheap, i aint sure on the mileage but the body is perfect just needs paint, so if i get it im taking a palm sander to the whole body and having a $300 macco job threw on it, the interior needs cleaned badly but seems to be a good solid truck. what is normal asking prices on these trucks with varying miles and in this condition?? my mom and stepdad had a 1993 2wd crewcab dually 7.3 IDI automatic for about 5 years from 1998 to 2003 til it was totaled, a friend bought it and fixed it and its still driving around, we put almost 90k on it, had to have the tranny and rearend rebuilt, and put a belt, tensioner and powersteering lines on it. it was probably the nicest and one of the best trucks ive ever drove. i will be trading a ford explorer for it cause i wont be getting rid of my cummins either.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome to the site!
firstly, you need to give us an idea where you're at. KBB on these trucks is worthless. These trucks(an older diesel actually) is seriously undervalued in KBB. Location is a key factor of the value of the vehicle. give us an idea of where you're at and there will be someone here speaking up soon!

LOGANSTANFORTH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
central florida, and thats all im saying cause i dont want people stealing my truck LOL, just kidding, yeah i know KBB isnt worth anything if its over about 10 years. my dodge is from the the same area and it is completely spotless underneath, im talking factory paint still on the frame and you could probably eat off the fuel tank.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't know the milage, so that is a big factor in pricing. Extended cab dually's are pretty cool, and not that common. Big thing with the extended cabs, is they rust like hell under the side window in the back. At least they do in the rust belt. That truck, if solid, and under 100K on the clock would probably go for 6-8K up here. If it looks like a cow patty, maybe all the way down to 3 or 4K. Need pics!

LOGANSTANFORTH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its has been setting on a car lot for a while, like 2 or 3 years, down the road from my dads house in florida and now they are finally starting to get it up and moving, i dont know what was wrong with it that it set so long but if i can get it for like 2-3 thousand ill be happy, he said the body isnt beat up just sun faded badly, the interior is pretty filthy, but all there. so i figure paint and a steam cleaner and it will be fine. i am moving to florida this sunday so i will be getting down there about wednesday evening cause i will be taking a detour through the carolinas.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If your very sure its a 6.9 motor then it can only be as new as an 87 or 88 truck. Now the second thing you must do is post the block serial numbers here so we can tell you if its the bad years that cracked near the block heater above the starter. Also does it have phillips head screws or bolts holding down the valve covers? The block serial numbers may tell us if its been repowered to the 7.3 motor. Does the injection pump have a vacuum switch on the passenger side of it? That will tell you that it has a C6 trans. Hope this helps some. Post back with some more information.

LOGANSTANFORTH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i aint seen the truck yet, this is all just coming from my dad, he hasnt looked that real close to the truck, he is going to stop and talk to the boss at the dealership sometime, all he talked to was the mechanic. i will be down there next week sometime so i will post up everything.