New to the crew

wreckerman893

Reaction score
Hey folks and fellow oil burners.

A friend turned me on the the site so I thought I would see what is happening over here.

I am a military vehicle collector, no that's not right, I'm a military vehicle addict:frustrate:frustrate:frustrate.....I own 12 trucks and assorted other military trailers and junk.

The latest object of my affliction is an 1983 M915 military road tractor made by AM General (military contrator).

It has the 400 Cummins with Jakes and Allison 5 speed tranny.

I got it cranked today and was very happy with it (had to change out the 4 12 volt batteries and put in a new ignition switch).

The primary air tank was rusted out and I am waiting for a replacement from a fellow Green Iron ****** in Ark.

As soon as I get that installed I will be road testing her.

She will be used to recover other MV's for myself and other similarly afflicted souls.

Can't wait to see how she runs out on the road......the ones I drove in the Army would do 85 if they were turned up to 2300 RPM. (not something that would endear you to a Convoy Commander.....ask me how I know:oops:)

Attachments

• M915 1.jpg
    M915 1.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 11
  • M915 2.jpg
    M915 2.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 6

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Welcome to the site.... there are a few other "green Iron" guys as you called it here... I like looking at the pictures of them so post up a few more.

We is a pretty good bunch here - problem is you will now have another addiction - OB.NET...

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Hey Murphy. About time you got over here. Welcome fellow SS refugee. Oh,mods. You can let him in the area 51 section of OB. I can vouch for him.

Freight_Train

Reaction score
ok,Now that I am home and have a real keyboard to type on I can make a real post(Iphone is great on the go but when you fat fingers...well fat everything in my case.....it sucks trying to hit those little spots on the screen.).This guy is a Cohort of mine.Known him for about 2 years....I think....I suck with dates.We met up on steelsoldiers(which has done a TDS!I mean nearly an exact replay of the great exodus!) and have corrupted him in so many ways.When I met up with him he only had 1 Chemical weapons shelter trailer(Think an over packed over engineered inflatable quanset hut crammed in a small 1 1/2ton M105 trailer!).To this day I can't remember all the trucks he has gotten but we have been on a couple recovery trips(From hell).Little Rock Arkansas to pick up 5 deuces including one that was mine.Indanapolis to pick up 3 deuces and a 5 ton tractor in the middle of a snow storm.Evansville indiana couple months ago.Couple rallys in Georgia.Between the 2 of us,and if we could get them all combat ready,we could outfit a pretty good size unit with vehicles and trailers.....and a small army with weapons and ammo!He IS one of us I will also say.He has 2 ford diesel.He has a tractor which I forgot the number on it.Then he has the infamous Turbo Diesel Ranger with Humvee fording stack turned lake pipe.This is also the same guy with the Sick 3rd gen 24valve Cumapart from another thread.Hey,Murphy....I mean Wrecker,Get a good motorpool shot and post a picture!You can leave that pile of rust and sand out of the picture under the tree.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
wreckerman,

Is this the truck that was transported by BamaAutoMovers? Bama (he is next door at SuperDutyDiesel.com) was looking for weight specs on a road tractor like that one. If I remember correctly, that is a heavy little ******......

wreckerman893

Reaction score
This is a pic of the Motor Pool.

I'm Richard and I'm an MV addict......but I can stop anytime I want to.

Ref the weight of the M915...DAMIFINO.

I WAG it and say at least 22,000 pounds if not more.

When I drove them in the Army we just waved as we blew past the weigh stations...it's not like they are going to give the Army an overweight ticket.

I once had the dubious pleasure of driving one from Fort Benning, GA to the National Training Center (located just down the road from hell in the CA desert).

It took us 5 days to drag ass out there since our "official" convoy speed was 55 MPH (the speed limit then).

Since we had a couple of "diesel doctors" in our bunch with some shims and bigger buttons we had some of those 400's warmed way up.......I blew by the Convoy Commander in his Blazer running 85 while drag racing with a Peterbuilt (I was winning).

Got a grand ass chewing over that but ***....I was only a Spec. 4 at the time.

Maybe I can bring the beast to a OB rally (if i can get the damned thing tagged and insured without selling a kidney.

Attachments

• 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Bama had been contracted to move a road tractor like that one, I just wasn't sure if it was yours.

In the thread over next door' he posted this link to that actual auction of the rig. If not, there is another one floating around.

Freight_Train

Reaction score
Just for S&Gs the weight is 19,000 to 19,200lbs depending on if it was a straight M915,A1,A2,or A3.

wreckerman893

Reaction score
There are a lot of these vehicles are being surplussed by the Guard and Reserve units.....you will prob see a lot of them on the move.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance