New to me deckover (rebuild)

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally got the wheel bearings repacked and the brakes fixed. I gutted the rear drums because I don't have the money to replace all of them, especially when there's a chance I'll be replacing the axles next year with the ones behind my garage that are in better shape.

Wire wheeled the brake hardware for the ones I was replacing and shot them with Rust-Oleum real quick. Put a little grease on the moving parts and slapped it back together.
You must be registered for see images attach

They work when I pull the breakaway cable so I'm happy! The brakes on my old trailer never worked LOL

Pretty sure these needed to be replaced...

I was VERY happy to find out the local NAPA carries the GOOD stuff for $6/tube! Cheapest I've found it was $12 on Amazon!

Last edited:

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know if it shows up in this crappy picture but the rears were way worse

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the boards cut for the dovetail during some light showers. I'm not going to run the drill in this stuff though. Baby steps are killing me LOL

Not completely sure what I'm going to do about the front of the dovetail. It's a little lower than it should be in relation to the crossmembers. It might be best to take them back out and shave some off the top but I'm not sure yet. Really don't like taking steps backwards but I will if I have to. Yes I can see why it doesn't line up but I don't know if the few 3/8 carriage bolts that go in those boards will bend them down 3/4"

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d say either shave them down a bit, or put a slanted trim piece across it to get rid of the ridge, just like a little 1x2 ramp.

Yeah I've been thinking about it and I'm going to pull the crossmembers back out and shave a little off the top of both of them. I'm thinking if I take about 3/8 off the rear one and 3/4 off the front one it should be just about right. If not it'll be close enough for the breakover cap piece I'm making.

Right where the top deck meets the dovetail I'm going to cap it with aluminum diamond plate. That will hold the boards down and even with each other and will also prevent them from getting snagged if I'm winching onto the trailer. I'm strongly considering recessing the plate into the deck ever so slightly, hopefully making it a flush transition from the diamond plate to the top of the boards.

pafixitman

Reaction score
I agree with Wes. You are in this far, shave em down and do it right. Also make sure the crown on the boards is down. Will help prevent any chance of cupping. Not sure if it would really happen due to thickness but ... Just one of them OCD things...

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally got a chance to start screwing it up or.... Down... Or both LOL

Shaved down the crossmembers on the dovetail and the boards sit correctly now. Supposed to rain for the next week or better. I got at least a screw or two in every board so they'll stay put. I have to go pick up the rest of the deck boards in a day or two so I had to make it useable.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
the break over point looks great now, i like the vintage saw to! they make me cringe a little from an electrical grounding stand point but boy do they look cool in a polished aluminum body.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the break over point looks great now, i like the vintage saw to! they make me cringe a little from an electrical grounding stand point but boy do they look cool in a polished aluminum body.

That saw was my grandfather's actually. Not gonna lie, I like not having to use three hands to press safety switches every time I pull the trigger. LOL

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picked up the rest of the deck boards today. His boy cut a few of them a hair short.... He's going to cut me a piece to put along the end to support them so I can still use them. They're close, I was happy to make do, he's been nothing but good and honest.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, blew through another box of screws today. Got the boards squared up and screwed in alternating sides until I can get the rest of the screws. I'm happy to say it's technically usable now! Hopefully I can make a little money with it soon. One of the guys at work wants some 20' deck boards so now we can go pick those up.

You can see where the boards are a little bit short. I was going to fill in the gap but i don't know. I think the diamond plate I'm going to put over it will probably do the trick just fine. The color difference in the long boards is only because I flipped a few of them before bolting them down.

Here's the beam supporting the end of the boards.

I decided to recess the screws that will be underneath the diamond plate.

Hopefully the next picture I post will be the finished product!

I actually already have a fix it... The ID bar (3 bulbs in the center rear) is already shorted out... Hopefully it's a simple fix.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
93 Farm Truck

Members online