New to me 1990 7.3 IDI F250, Banks Turbo kit feedback?

abacuschicken

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just purchase this truck a few weeks ago. I am wondering what the general consensus on adding an after market turbo kit. 1. does it add additional strain to the tranny? 2. Is it worth it? 3. Does/can it reduce the overall life of the engine pushing it harder with a turbo?

rdoimages

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry no one has replied to your post. I don't think this particular forum gets much action. I would post it in the regular idi forum.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you have three choices. Banks, ATS or Hypermax.
Banks has the most proprietary parts and NO aftermarket support.
ATS 093 is oem in ford and aftermarket support is still very strong.
Hypermax is the only one still being manufactured.
needless to say Banks is the most inexpensive to buy into and the most expensive to service.
Also, most Banks kits outside of the wastegated sidewinder turbo kit is extremely trans specific.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I just purchase this truck a few weeks ago. I am wondering what the general consensus on adding an after market turbo kit. 1. does it add additional strain to the tranny? 2. Is it worth it? 3. Does/can it reduce the overall life of the engine pushing it harder with a turbo?

1.yes.the more performance the engine produces,the more strain there will be on the trans.
2.yes.all diesels belong turbocharged.
3.yes.the more performance the engine produces,the shorter it's life will be.the same could said however about removing your turbo.it's life could then be shortened due to increased egts and the need to make it scream all the time.once i installed the banks turbo,i found the engine took the loads much,much more effortlessly and i didn't need to keep my boot it in on the hills anymore.
then i intercooled and moose pumped it and honestly it's much more engine than i really need now.........but it's much more fun and comfortable to drive with spare power always on tap.

it's all about finding that balance.you can build the engine and trans to produce a lot of power and you can build them to hold the power.it's all in how much you want to spend.
for most of us,we have found one of the turbo kits with around 10 psi is all it takes to make us satisfied.at least to the level most of us are willing to spend (i use "most" loosely as there are and forever will be,more n/a idi engines than turbocharged ones by a very,very large margin).as it doesn't require engine removal and disassembly.with proper fuel and timing the idi community has combined millions of issue free miles with many reports of surpassing the 300k mile engine life expectancy running with turbo kits.so don't fear your engine will just come apart or something by putting a turbo on it.these are medium duty truck engines and they're tougher than a two dollar steak.

Hypermax is the only one still being manufactured.

did we ever get a confirmation about banks dropping sidewinder kit production after the last rumor?

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1 absolutely, any increase in power is extra strain on the trans. you will need to compensate to keep it reliable.
2 worth it is relative to what you needs are
3 yes it will shorten the life of engine/parts. but if you need the power to do the job that migh tbe worth the exchange.

personally the ATS is a good system but only gives you about 20hp boost , this also means you only need minor upgrades to proof your trans and reliability of engine is not sacrificed barely at all. have never heard anything bad about them other than not enough power.

the banks is a good one to be carefull of, hypermax I have no experience with other than I have one on an 88 E350 ambulance parts van here.

Stan's headers makes a set of headers for 6.9/7.3 idi, and some nice 2.5" straight duals would wake it up a little more too..............................

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online