New to forum- a few questions

jdw7.3

Reaction score
New to the board. It looks like alot of useful info here. I just got a 90 F-250 with the 7.3 and the E40D tranny.

My fuel tanks are leaking a little bit of diesel fuel. I searched around the forum and saw that it is somewhat common for a small hole to wear in to these tanks. I am planning on pulling the tank so I can find the leak and fix it. Will it be easier to drop the tanks or lift the bed off and pull the tanks throught the top??

Also- I want to change the gear oil in the rear end since I'll be using this for towing. However, there isn't a fill hole on the pumpkin like I am used to. How do I fill it up after I drain the Differential/? What weight oil do I use??

I am new to diesels and had no idea about caitation when i bought this truck. I asked the owner after I bought it and he didn't use the SCA. I flushed the coolant and added the SCA. The engine has 115K on the clock. Should I be worried that the engine is already cavitated?? Am i going to have serious engine problems in the near futurre??

Thanks for your help! ;Sweet

budtoh3zo

Reaction score
The fill hole is by the drive shaft on the side, some say its easier to pull the bed witch i also agree its a pain to try and get the wires off and that, But they normally wear a hole were the straps are. As for cavation just keep the SCA's up and it should be good for another 100,000. I use 80w90 for my diff. Oh welcome glad u found us

jdw7.3

Reaction score
thanks for the quick reply! I'll keep you posted on the progress

Here is a pic of my new truck

http://img130.echo.cx/img130/8756/truck14sh.jpg

How do you know how much diff oil to use. I normally fill the diff unitl the fluid is up to the hole. is is the same with this differential??

Last edited:

jdw7.3

Reaction score
try it now- I just fixed it - you looked too fast! ;Sweet

DBogo

Reaction score
wow nice truck i really like the rims on it im not sure what to tell you about the camber on the front tires i heard sometimes just from the weight of the engine it makes them like that

jdw7.3

Reaction score
it got newer Mickey thompson tires. New balljoints and brakes and glowplugs. The tranny was rebuilt about 7k miles ago. The 7.3 has 115K on it. The inerior is worn but it is perfect for what i am going to use it for (mostly a work truck and to pull my boat) I paid $3200 for the truck, which i thought was a really good deal until I saw all the post about caviation which has me worried. I guess the only thing I can do is drive it until it breaks. Thanks for your help!

gotdiesel?

Fine Diner
Reaction score
Good lookin' truck, jdw. I'm not much of a ford guy, since I found the power of the goat, but I believe the 1990's had the monobeam IFS. I have seen many of these trucks, gas and diesel, which get weak spring disease. The way the front suspension is set up, weak springs throw the camber all to :number2. Just my $.02, and I may be way off base, but maybe someone can clarify or verify. BTW, welcome to OB, I think you'll find a lot of great tech stuff, and a butt load of fun to go with it!!!

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
If you have a limited slip rear end you need to throw in some friction modifer or the clutch packs will grab causing early wear which leads to not much limited slip = basically open diff. You can get the additive from your local ford dealer. I want to say (this done from memory) that you use two bottles of additive when doing the rear end. Just yank the rear cover and let it drain - yes it's messy but it give you a chance to inspect the rear end, then just use form-a-gasket to seal her back up. Yep just fill her till it reaches the fill/check plug hole on the side of the diff.

jdw7.3

Reaction score
thanks for the replys! i'll problably llok into the rearend this weekend