new to diesels have some questions

sms8921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys new to this site and diesels. I recently purchased a 94 idi td with 170000 mi. It had a fuel leak on the return lines and o rings which I fixed. I feel as though this truck is somewhat gutless. I can imagine it has original injectors and pump. It seems to run ok just not very quick, sluggish is better to discribe it. Also, while truck is idling if you are under the hood and accelerate the motor I see some white colored smoke come up from behind the turbo. I have checked the shaft in the turbo and there is no slop. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be. Anything I could do to get back some power? I haul a 2000lb trailer around everyday and sometimes it seems like the truck is lugging it around, almost struggling. Thanks

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
First off, welcome to the site. If you have the original pump and injectors, they surely need replacing. Do you have a boost and pyro gauge? I would get these before you do too much messing around. If you have them, try cranking up the fuel in the IP a bit. This will wake things up a bit.

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At 170,000 you prob need a pump and injectors. Easy way to tell if they are original- if they are painted grey like the engine they are probably originals. Before you spend that kind of money you should probably buy, borrow, or have someone use a compression tester and check the condition of the engine. White smoke from behind the turbo could be a couple of things, CDR grommet, up pipe leaks, etc. Truck should pull that trailer relatively easy, have you changed the air and fuel filters? That would be a good start.
Oh by the way Welcome to the site!!!!!!!!

sms8921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome. The IP is still gray and the fuel lines never look like they were ever touched when I fixed the leak. I would say they are original. I dont have a boost or pyro gauge. Im going to get them when I sell the fifth wheel hitch that came with it. Air filter is a k and n. Havent changed fuel filter. I dont know how to bleed the lines of air after I change it so I have been hesitant. White smoke is very very faint behind the turbo. If the engine compartment wasnt black you probably wouldnt be able to see it. I didnt think the fuel filter would make a big difference. It has 4.10s so I just think it should be snappier. I cant even get it to break tire on dry road from a dead stop only wet...

DragRag

Reaction score
For me if it aint broke don't fix it. If you want more power then Install a pyrometer, and turn up the pump. Then see where you are at with power after that. You can always go back and install a new pump, and injectors later if the results are no good. I have a truck with 180k, nothing done to it, and my injectors/pump are still just fine.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. With that amount of miles on the fuel system its getting close. Try this. Add one quart of atf fluid to the fuel tank. Run that till its done. The atf cleans up the injection pump and injectors. If you replace the filter refill it with atf but pour it omly in the outside ring of holes. That way the filter will clean the trans fluid. Anything poured in the center holes will have dirt in it and that kills the injection pump. Its the dirt that you don't see that does the damage. Even a new can of oil has some crap in it that will damage a pump. A pyro and boost gauge is a must have before you try to turn up the fuel. You need to be watching how hot the exhaust is getting and back off when it reaches 100 degrees. I back out around 100 to 1050 degrees just to be safe. Aluminum gets soft around 1200 degrees. Then it melts away....

sms8921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. I dont really want to turn anything up. I just wanted some snappiness back thats all..thanks guys I will do the atf and filter change. Thanks

duke3478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. I dont really want to turn anything up. I just wanted some snappiness back thats all..thanks guys I will do the atf and filter change. Thanks

Run some ATF and/or diesel kleen. One treatment took away all my smoke and pepped things up greatly (permanently). I had to shift to neutral when braking to keep from stalling, that all went away.

Nothing gets you snappiness like turning the IP up a bit. But get that pyro first. Even a cheap one is better than nothing.

Easy job, too. While you're at it, buy a few feet of 5/16 and 3/8 fuel line and some clamps. Replace what lines you have, it's cheap and an easy job. Maybe $30-$40 bucks.

Next you'll want an electric lift pump, plumbed where you can use it to prime the fuel system if you run low or a pickup goes bad. $60 plus valves/fittings. You'll already have some hose left over.

Next recommended project is a pushbutton glow controller. Use a momentary button ($3 at Radio Shack) to wire key power to the button to a 5a inline fuse ($3-4 Wal Mart) to the signal side of the glow relay. Use 5-10 second pushes. Then new glows if you need em.

Next check your starter and batt cables, R&R as necessary.

Last edited:

sms8921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did fix the return lines with new line. The glow plugs seem to work great it fires up so fast its not even funny. I am not to sure about how to do the pushbutton or the electric lift pump or how much they cost. But since I am running crude I think a mechanical lift pump is better am I right??

sootman73

Reaction score
I did fix the return lines with new line. The glow plugs seem to work great it fires up so fast its not even funny. I am not to sure about how to do the pushbutton or the electric lift pump or how much they cost. But since I am running crude I think a mechanical lift pump is better am I right??

I would leave the controller the way it is in the truck. Those solid state systems work great and are pretty reliable. I would never remove a solid state system for a pushbutton. They stay on for the required amout of time based on temperature and you cant do that with a pushbutton.

just my $.02

sms8921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Running crude. We have a well here in pa and my dad owns a land dev. business and I own a Lawn Care business so I run it in my truck and he runs it in his duramax and JD equipment.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I would stick to the mechanical pump. Put a new one on, they are cheap but follow the instructions in the box about setting the crank to the right position before install.
A new lift pump probably won't help out power but its peace of mind. I would also say you are due for a pump. Unfortunatly these DB2 pumps that we use don't last long, and that last even less with untreated "dry" fuel. With really good lubricating fuel; I bet they would go 300k before replacement.
I find that injectors last a bit longer than the pumps. In my exprience anyways

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
I would stick to the mechanical pump. Put a new one on, they are cheap but follow the instructions in the box about setting the crank to the right position before install.
A new lift pump probably won't help out power but its peace of mind. I would also say you are due for a pump. Unfortunatly these DB2 pumps that we use don't last long, and that last even less with untreated "dry" fuel. With really good lubricating fuel; I bet they would go 300k before replacement.
I find that injectors last a bit longer than the pumps. In my exprience anyways

mine went 292k? i think. cant member the miles on it when it went out. must of just had some dirt in it. let it soak fully submerged in pb blaster and put it on a buddies truck. works like a champ! ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online