New pump issues

GunnerJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The timing gear itself did not move at all, so I'm pretty sure I'm only off on the pump itself, not gear teeth

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If this good used pump was taken off a well running engine. How long did it sit before you installed it on your engine. Really glad you did not remove the gear cover housing but only removed the lemon shaped cover to reach the 3 small bolts.

GunnerJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn't give you an exact timeline but I am pretty sure it was somewhere around March

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If it was that far back its my guess the pilot circuits inside the injection pump have gummed up. Best idea now is drain and refill the fuel filter with ATF. Then start the engine and listen for the engine sound to change. Shut down and let that ATF set in the pump over night. Next day start and run it like you rented it. If any stuck pistons or ports were in the pump this atf will clean that out. Its cheap repairs at the shade tree best.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe its just me but atf vs a product designed to actually clean injectors and ip endorsed by Mercedes Benz would seem to be a much better alternative for cleaning you IP.

Look up liqua moly diesel purge here and get 3 cqns...do a closed loop run before bed...let sit over night....return system back to normal and in morning run it like ya stole it....

Maybe I am onto something dunno.....but it works well.

JM7.3CW

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Sure a quart of ATF is handy to keep to top off power steering and fill a fresh filter, but I'd imagine a product designed to be a cleaner would be more effective than ATF as I don't think it has the same level of detergents as it used to. I just use diesel kleen on filter changes as it's off the shelf most local places, but any other product advertised to clean diesel fuel systems should be fine.

So what oil does everyone run? :popcorn

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would bet the atf got started due to the fact that on one has a qt. of fuel on the shelf?!
I agree with the fact that atf is not as silky nor carrying the detergants it used to.
I think riot hit on the new trend.
I have been using diesel kleen cuz its cheap and sorta made for the job.
But I've only done 2filters so far one on each rig.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally feel having done the CLOZED LOOP that the fuel filter fills with diesel fat too quickly for the kleener or what ever uou use to actually have a decent chance of working.

Using a product like diezel purge....zeafoam....diezel kleen...any of these in a closed setup is far superior.

For example: whist testing some injectors a customer used WVO in they were sticky and gross...no solvent I had on hand dissolved any of that goo. I grabbed some diesel purge and rubbed the injector with it and suddenly it was dizsolving the gummy goo.

That being said I can and will be doing a purge on this current tru k I have to see if it has anny affect on it overall.

2 weeks of driving daily trips coming up no loads always empty same routes so a week before and after should perhaps provide quantifiable efforts.

Anyway I digress...