New member, New Question

Mr. Fix it

Reaction score
Just thought I would say hello, nice site, nice lay out. I like the fact that this site has resources for the "other" brands of trucks as well. Was told about this site from another member of a "Dodge only" website. I see some familiar names being listed. Well, glad to meet you all, I'm sure this will be another excellent resource for my week knowledge base on the CTD.

Anyways, I have been noticing in cold weather only (worse the colder it gets), some blue smoke at start up and warm up. It will be obvious blue smoke for the 5 to 10 minute fast idle (about 1200 rpms fast idle using the highly advanced ice scraper method). Then a litle blue smoke for the first mile or two while driving away. After that all is fine.

I have checked the timing using the drop valve method and a degree wheel, and based and my measurements, it is at the stock location of 14.5 degrees. Pin on timing gear drops in and notch on pump pin is dead center in window at the same time also. Seems to run fine, recently replaced fuel lines, and overflow valve. Turbo maxes out at 20lbs of boost (it is stock).

No blue smoke noticed during warm weather (truck purchased in may) it has 105,000 miles on it, no noticeable oil consumption. No oil noticed on turbo blades.

Just curious if this normal, not normal, can timing still be off and I am missing something with the degree wheel and drop valve method? Was thinking of advancing timing a little to see if this helps (using degree wheel).

Thanks, sorry for the long post, Kevin

CHarlan

Reaction score
Mine likes to smoke white... the blue you are talking about is probably more of a white, which is a result of the cold air, and being the principle of a Diesel's operation. It goes away once you drive it, right? If so, this is normal cold weather behavior like Bill stated above.

Mr. Fix it

Reaction score
Glad to hear. This is my first dodge diesel, I have (wifes car) a Jetta diesel, but that thing is so efficient I don't get any smoke! Well at least a little black when I get on it ;) .

I usually let the dodge warm up for a few minutes, but this eve I started it up, waited for about one minute, and drove off like a little old lady. The smoke was gone by about 2 miles of driving.

Thanks for the reassurance, I like the truck, and want to slowly bring it to a respectable power level, just want to make sure all the bugs are worked out first, and of course as budget allows.

Thanks again, Kevin

Mr. Fix it

Reaction score
Yes I will, gonna wait till warranty is up first. Got the extended warranty in the purchase price deal back when bought it new.

Still, for a 4 banger, it's fun to drive. Gotta like 45 mpg too. And thats for the auto trans, hell the manual gets in the 50's mpg.

Gotta laugh everytime I get people either trying to stop me from putting diesel in it, or even better, the ones who laugh when I'm putting diesel in it. I just drive away and smile.

Thanks, Kevin

NAIL BENDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome Mr. FixIt,

The site is growing and will soon be able to answer all your Diesel questions. Contribute where you can.

Mr. Fix it

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome and the responses. BTW Joe, nice picture of your wife:D , your a lucky guy! Kevin

Last edited:
B

Big K

Welcome Kevin.

Once the oil pressure comes up, it's time to go. :D

Actually, I try to give it a few minutes for the grid heaters to cycle. I also use synthetic oil. Colder temps, and whether you plug your truck in may make a difference, as will the type of driving you do for the first couple of miles. I can just take it easy, but some must hit the main arterials. I would allow for a bit more warmup in that case.

Joe's "wife" is pretty hot, huh? :D

Mr. Fix it

Reaction score
Funny you mentioned synthetic oil, cause after the past few very cold days, I've been thinking about it. Especially with the 12.88 a gallon price of the rotella t 5w-40 at wallmart.

I have heard that the valvolene blue is sold at the cummins dealers for a decent price, but you gotta buy 5 gallons at a time. I think it works out to about the same price as the rotella, may check that out also.

It was like 5 to 8 degrees here the other day, and the truck did not like starting after work. No problem in the morning cause the block heater kicks on 3 hours befor I leave. But in the eve, no block heater. It sure made alot of noise starting. Only cycled the heater once and it fired but died right away. Cycled again and it started, but moaned, groaned, and clacked away loudly. Took awhile for it to smooth out and about 6 or 7 miles before it felt normal.

Today was much better, I was able to park in a parking structure, and it was a sizzleing 18 degrees. No problem starting. Got the radiator blocked also. Warms up a little faster and better!

Again, thanks for the info, Kevin

Last edited:

CHarlan

Reaction score
I noticed blocking my radiator, when I went to Colorado made a big difference!!! When I took my Pete Winter shield out, the heater would not even really blow warm!