New lifters....WHAT DA.....

Twostacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought new Melling lifters for my 94 7.3 turbo part # JB-2104, they came 4 in a box total of 16, I go to install them today and I notice that eight of them are different then the stock lifter:confused: I checked the boxes they came in and they were the correct part # The stock lifter has the middle of the body milled more then the replacement part. Could this be a newer version of the stock lifter and it's not a problem. The place I got them from won't be open till friday. In picture the stock lifter is on the right, you'll notice the bigger pin for the roller on the replacement lifter on the left, they seem to be the same size and fit.

Thanks

Attachments

• CIMG1685.jpg
    CIMG1685.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 42
  • CIMG1684.jpg
    CIMG1684.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Logroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know you will run into things like this in a gasser too ,, so if there is no other issues i would just put them in ,,, it looks like an improvement over stock .. or oe replacement so go with it

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
STOP! the early lifters only had bushings in them and were prone to failures, then in the later engines they switched to roller bearings in the lifters. I do not know how to identify the differences in these things,but you had best wait until someone who can chimes in on this. You do not want to install the early type lifters with the bushings in them.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rob, and I was just wondering if it's bearings that I see around the roller shaft on his factory lifters - guess my observation was correct.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you have 8 of one type and 8 of another? I would at least make them get you 16 that were all alike. I was unaware of an update to the lifters, but RL is usualy on the money. If they've been updated you want the updates, I remember being on TDS in the early days of our community when I was a total greenhorn hearing about quite a few lifter problems. Anyone know when the lifters were updated??

1994IDI

Reaction score
No idea when the lifters were updated. But I have done enough gassers to know I wouldn't feel comfortable putting two different kinds of lifter in any engine I was building. Good luck.

Twostacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rob, and I was just wondering if it's bearings that I see around the roller shaft on his factory lifters - guess my observation was correct.

Yes those are bearings around the roller on the stock lifter , can't see them on the replacement lifter on the left but notice it has a larger brass pin for the roller

So you have 8 of one type and 8 of another? I would at least make them get you 16 that were all alike. I was unaware of an update to the lifters, but RL is usualy on the money. If they've been updated you want the updates, I remember being on TDS in the early days of our community when I was a total greenhorn hearing about quite a few lifter problems. Anyone know when the lifters were updated??

Yes I have 8 of one and 8 of the other, both versions came in the same type of packaging and part #. I do agree, taking them back and getting a matched set, the only problem is I soaked them over night in oil before I noticed the differences:mad:

thanks
Vin

Last edited:

sootman73

Reaction score
i would just brake clean them to not give them any idea that they might have been used at all...........

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its true about bushing type roller lifters. Don't use them. Why someone would sell you a half & half set is just crazy. The larger pin tells you they are bushing and not needle bearing type lifters. I have a set of them too. I bought them years ago with the same part numbers as yours... Nice desk paper weights too...:sly:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online