New IP & Injectors, timed to 8.7, grey smoke, Power Service

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
I got her out on the road for the first time tonight, Injectors were pop and spray tested by my local IP rebuild shop, rebuilt out of state (must be right?) power is fine for me, Up to operating temp of 200(by aftermarket gauge), 6.9 NA, had more grey exhaust smoke than I think right (I had no smoke before job), filled the tank with BP diesel, still smoke, put in twice the normal power service with slick diesel (ten ounces to 15 Gals, had some power service in the 1/8 tank that I had) Most of the exhaust smoke went away,

Does this indicate something?, Something fixable? Normal? What to do next, what to look for? :dunno

I am not complaining, just do I keep adding slick diesel every time? Does this go away after a while? Do I need to do something now? I have read about some guys adding 2 stroke oil or WMO to get their engines running better, am I in that category?

Last edited:

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
I got her out on the road for the first time tonight, Injectors were pop and spray tested by my local IP rebuild shop, rebuilt out of state (must be right?) power is fine for me, Up to operating temp of 200(by aftermarket gauge), 6.9 NA, had more grey exhaust smoke than I think right (I had no smoke before job), filled the tank with BP diesel, still smoke, put in twice the normal power service with slick diesel (ten ounces to 15 Gals, had some power service in the 1/8 tank that I had) Most of the exhaust smoke went away,

Does this indicate something?, Something fixable? Normal? What to do next, what to look for? :dunno

I am not complaining, just do I keep adding slick diesel every time? Does this go away after a while? Do I need to do something now? I have read about some guys adding 2 stroke oil or WMO to get their engines running better, am I in that category?

Sadly, you absolutely NEED to add some sort of fuel conditioner as ULSD lacks the lubricating properties that our trucks were built around 20 years ago. Many here have had great results with Power Service and Howes products.
Some old truckers recommended to me to add Mercon III transmission fluid with great results (I do now and then still) but BEWARE of pinhead cops in some states that will try to fail you on the color test for off road diesel. HOWEVER, you will pass the chemical test which they try to avoid out of laziness and not get fined. Also is a great idea to keep your fuel and ATF receipts in the truck to further prove you aren't running off road fuel.

Forgot to add, biodiesel was tested as being the best for your fuel system health (don't have to add conditioners other than to winterize)...if you can find it anywhere...

Last edited:

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run a gallon of supertech 2 stroke oil from walmart everytime I fill up. (I have a 45 gallon tank in my bed). I Cant complain for $11 dollars a gallon for the oil. My truck seems to like it. As for your smoke maybe extra power service is whats is smoking? Don't know but when I do a filter change I fill my filter with power service and it will smoke for few minuits after I start it but it clears up.

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
I guess I can't figure out why it did not smoke on pump diesel before this job and now it does smoke on pump diesel, it makes me think I got something wrong.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Howes. Get yourself some Howes!

You need about 1/2 to 1/3 of Howes compared to teh amount of Diesel Kleen you would normally run. Howes is about the same price per bottle, but one bottle lasts WAY longer.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
First I'd question the timing. I had mine "timed" by a guy that has been in the business for a long time-who has a great reputation and works on all types of diesels-and he wasn't anywhere near 8.5* +/- I can tell you that much! LOL Next up would be the fuel screw. If the pump is new there's always the chance that the screw is not tuned to your motor... Obviously I'm not an expert, but those are the two things I'd question. Do you have a gauge? How do your egt's look?

I've been running 15w-40 (clean) engine oil for fuel lube. Right now I can tell a difference with two quarts per tank. I hope that's enough to make a difference though :dunno

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
How old is the fuel in the tanks... You may just have to drive it awhile for it to clean up or turn down the fuel about 1/2 a flat.... Grey smoke isn't a big deal... Black clouds that just lays down on the road is the bad smoke.....:eek:

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
I can't take a video right now, I don't have a pyro meter, I timed it to 8.7 - I used two different mag probes and two different Kent-Moore Meters. Fuel is fresh.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Can you tell me this.....does your pump have a turque screw?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmu9ZUY7eis

If so, make sure it is set to Non Turbo specs. Back the screw off, and thread it in flush with the jam nut then tighten the jam nut up tight on the pump casing.

Non turbo trucks had the screw flush with the jam nut, and Turbo trucks had the torque screw protruding about 1/4 inch out of the jam nut.

Other than that, I am not too sure other than using a good diesel addative.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online