new ip funnies...

DowneyB

Professional
Reaction score
I finally got my truck running again. I put on an IP I had that supposedly doesn't have very many miles on it and a new fuel pump. It actually runs about the same as it did before with a few small oddities.

1) It tops out sooner than my old one did.

2) When I am at highway speeds, and not accelerating or decelerating, just holding a constant speed on flat ground, it starts to sound and feel just like a gasser that is missing, and it puts out a bunch of smoke.

note: it is only timed by the marks put on there.

What do I do to fix this? It gets kinda old on a two hour trip.

Thanks

Brock

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Did the injection pump come off of a bus or a fleet vehicle?
If so the thing is governed way lower than one for a pickup. Probably hits the governer around 2700-2800 rpm instead of around 3300 or so

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1) It tops out sooner than my old one did.

2) When I am at highway speeds, and not accelerating or decelerating, just holding a constant speed on flat ground, it starts to sound and feel just like a gasser that is missing, and it puts out a bunch of smoke.

note: it is only timed by the marks put on there.
I think that's your issue right there...it sounds to me like the pump timing is retarded too far. What color is the smoke? If the smoke is gray/white, you've definitely got a timing problem.

I would get it "properly" timed and go from there...

DowneyB

Professional
Reaction score
No, it came off of a 6.9 in a pickup when the engine seized.

Thats what I figured. Which way do you turn it to advance it? and how far? I may be able to get it done properly, but I will be returning to K-State today, so it would be nice if it were timed a little better for the trip.

Thanks

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For advancing the pump turn it counter-clockwise as seen if you stare at it from in front of the truck. You pump being an 6.9 unit will likely have that boss on the front side that you slip a 3/4" open-end wrench on, pull the wrench towards the passenger side till the mark on the pump is about 1/8" past that on the housing, that's about 4 degrees advance at the pump which makes for total of 8 degrees advance at the crank - try that at first, see if you like it, back timing off as necessary.