New injectors

rlb245

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought 8 new injectors about 6 to 8 months ago and have yet to install them for fear of running into problems. But unfortunately I was not a member of this forum at that time. I've been doing allot of reading here and digging through older post and I've learned a great deal and feel my fears are unfounded do to listening to only horror story and never get the big picture. I intend on doing this job nest weekend. I have only one question. I bought new ford Delphi injectors for the 6.9 engine. Are these the ones I want to use or should I use a different injector?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Delhpi is all we can get these days. Now when you say new how are you making that determination. Many places are cleaning up a used injecter and passing it off as a new injecter. Some even have started calling them... New remanufactured injecters.. Well new is new and rebuilt or remanufacured is a rebuilt part. Just calling it a new ***** because its wearing a differant dress is not new. Creative writeing has taken on new meaning in the industry these days. Try to tell someone what they want to hear.. The word new needs to be looked at closely. Even some of the members here will post about a new 85 6.9 truck or engine.. Sadly there are no new idi engines or trucks.. But some really low mileage of both out there.

rlb245

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right from Ford in the Delphi box new! hose that $48.00 each new plus the shipping (smiling) I see BOSTECH has one for the 6.9.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run 'em. Only improvement you could do would be to go to a vendor that will test 100 of them on the pop tester and group them in groups of 8 with similar pop off pressures. Those Bostech look like remans to me. Especially since there's a core charge on a search I did.

Be aware that timing is related to the opening pressure of your injectors so your timing will likely be different with the new injectors installed. Beg, borrow or buy someone a bottle to stand there while you adjust your timing with his meter. You could come over here and play with my ferret but it's a heck of a drive.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd run em. Way better than a high mileage ***** to continue the analogy, the high mileage ones like to stick open or closed and neither position is any fun! (end analogy)

I used a long skinny wire wheel on a drill to clean out the injector seats and then a shop vac with a funnel end taped to the end of the hose to suck out the dust and debris. It worked for me!

Best advice is take your time, do it once, do it right. Then never worry about it again.

JM2CW

rlb245

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well timing shouldn't be an issue. I still have my dads SnapOn stuff. It's a Lumy with a magnetic prob. I've never used it but Life is a learning experience right?
I've got alot of Snapon gear that was mine after he passed away. I've used allot of the stuff on gassers but this is the first time for a diesel.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wish I could charge 48 each for injectors. wow. But new delphi is about as good as it gets. new stanadyne is better but hard to find. I scored a few sets of reman from IH that have new stanadyne tips, best of both worlds.

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So who are the best injector rebuilders? I'm looking at getting rebuilt injectors but don't want to go new since I'm not replacing the IP. When the IP goes I'll probably get new injectors to go with it.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why wouldn't you go new? Price is about the same for quality remans. If you buy from the best, ask if you can send them back and have them pop tested and adjusted when you put your new pump on. Type4 and Agnem both offer matched injector sets.

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I can get pop tested remana from a reputable source, wouldn't that be cheaper and better than new with no pop test? I mean about the only part to really wear is the nozzle, the spring set back is adjusted by shims. not much to them. I really ought to build my own pop tester set up, I've owned 4 different diesels not counting tractors in the last year.

rlb245

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was at Harbor Freight last week and purchased a 4 ton bottle jack. Started today building. Welding is done and starting to reassemble can't wait to try it. Going to take the old injectors and re-man them My self.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Shims and injecter parts are impossible to find. If you can find them they are more expensive than a new injecter. So just what is a "reputable" rebuilder doing to them and selling tham at a profit... Cleaning is about it. Best o luck finding what you want. I usually ask injection pump rebuild shops for old injecters. Then I take out the shims and use them. Every 1 thousands shim is worth 50 lbs of presure. 1850 psi for stock BB injecters and 2200 for turbo G codes. Nobody really uses the G codes. They really don't work like we feel they should in the "turbo application".

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was at Harbor Freight last week and purchased a 4 ton bottle jack. Started today building. Welding is done and starting to reassemble can't wait to try it. Going to take the old injectors and re-man them My self.

Ya better have a place that is as clean as an Operating room. Tiny specs of dirt and any magnectic particles will defeat the rebuild.

Did you see this. http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?43126-Build-an-Injector-Pop-Tester

HF has the 5000 lb gauge.