New injectors and pump. Exhaust smoking.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm getting closer to where it needs to be.
I had turned the fuel down a bit due to heavy black smoke under hard throttle.
But then I was getting steady gray smoke all the time. No black on hard throttle.
I rechecked my timing and it was @ 8 so I've been bumping it up and it's been getting better.
I'm at @ 9.3 now.
Now I can get just a bit of black if I really get on it while climbing a hill. And I can't see any gray smoke while driving or when parked and staring at the tailpipe.
But against my dark-colored house I can see gray smoke drifting away. Like cigarette smoke. A bit more after sitting and restarting. So I'm thinking the wife will still whine when the house windows are open in the summer.
Do you think that's as good as I can expect or should I go more? This is my 1st diesel so maybe some smoke is to be expected?
9.3 seems to be getting up there so I'm tempted to not push it any further.

Last edited:

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeez.
You all taught this newbie where to start and who to get my parts and tools from and I seem to be getting it close and then no advice to get me across the finish line. :-(

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Jeez.
You all taught this newbie where to start and who to get my parts and tools from and I seem to be getting it close and then no advice to get me across the finish line. :-(
The problem here is that none of us except for you can lay our hands on your truck. If we can't see what it's doing for ourselves, then we can't help very well with the smallest things.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've read that timing should be between 8.5-9.5
Is it ok to go higher than 9.5 ? How much is too much?
Based on all I've read that's what you want for a normal operating truck. I'd keep working with the fuel and checking the timing as you go. At least, if I was working on my truck that's what I'd do. It sounds like you're engine is mechanically sound, you're just down to fine tuning.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeez.
Tune the grey smoke out and have it where it is occasionally black under heavy load and you are good. AFR doesn’t really matter in diesels so that kind of load tuning with the black smoke you can use an EGT gauge.

Above all, Whatever guidance Russ gave you should be what you are following. You are running his pump.

Also, we can’t move your legs across the finish line for you, before you know it you won’t be a newbie.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tune the grey smoke out and have it where it is occasionally black under heavy load and you are good.
I don't know weather to advance the timing more than 9.3 or bring the fuel back up a bit.
I can get just a bit of black smoke if I really get on it while going up a hill, empty and no trailer.
The gray smoke is light but steady. I can only really see it when parked next to a dark building.

Last edited:

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a thought, but maybe just drive it a while. Maybe it's burning off some build up. At least just don't mess with anything on it for a bit and let your head clear and the truck can pay for itself a bit by moving you around.

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you ever tune out this gray smoke issue?

As you probably seen in my other posts I’m getting ready to get into my fuel system..just curious is all.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It mostly went away as I advanced the timing. It's @ 9-9.5 deg. btdc now.
Then I ran a can of Liqui Moly diesel purge in my tank. It smoked quite a bit through that tank. So I guess it did some cleaning.
Now I just get a short black puff at startup and a bit of gray in winter until the cold-start/high idle turns itself off. Then pretty clean from then on. I don't carry or tow any real loads so I don't know how that might show in the exhaust.

Diesilee

Reaction score
Just read the last page in this. When the rental timing units were first going around I timed my three idi's @ about 10 degrees advance w/one
@ 10.5. That was 5-8 yrs. ago, no problems. I do, however, have egt gauges and don't do peddle to the metal towing. All three are tidi and
a joy to drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online