New headlights

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last night I installed all new headlights on my 97. Figured I'd post it here since its the same as 92-94 IDIs. I replaced the grille, the chrome headlight surround pieces, and all three lenses on both sides. I got the parts on ebay from two different sellers.

First problem is adjusting the headlights themselves. I wasn't able to get them to aim very far in front, especially on high beams, just because I ran out of travel on the adjusters. The light pattern is really spotty as well.

Then when I went to assemble the headlight surround, turn and parking lamp assembly. I had to break out the dremel to take off some high spots that may have been there for molding or something. None of the screw holes really lined up, but I was able to force them. Then, after installing the assembly, the whole thing doesn't line up properly.

I'm hoping the sellers will let me return them, or do a refund. We'll see.

Where have you all gotten replacement headlights? How was the fit and finish? I won't go to Ford, because that would be over $500 for both sides. Parts yards around here never have them. If they did I would just buy some OEM used ones and recondition them as necessary.

Here's some pictures.

You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Are those lense glass or plastic. they sure look like glass. My 89 plastic lens have turned yellow and no matter what I do they wont clean up. done plenty of the restore polishing but its just not right..

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Looks great! Did they ever make brick nose glass lights?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think they look like crap. The big gap between the headlight and the grille on the passenger side, and the side marker light hanging out - bad enough to catch your shirt on as you walk by.

Anyway, unfortunately they are plastic and not glass. I would love some glass ones.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been down this road, and ended up shelling out for dealer replacement parts. The aftermarket stuff just doesn't fit properly and looks like hell. I know thats not much help, but the dealer parts are much higher quality, and the first ones lasted 20 or so years, so I didn't feel too bad about trying to get another 20 out of my replacement set.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well you guys have convinced me to buy only the oem replacement lites. no import crap for my rig. nothing worse than ill fitting cheap chit... Makes a nice rig look ghetto...

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I got my headlights from my Dad who found them at a garage sale. Glass ones with replaceable bulbs. The low beam pattern is nice but the high beam pattern look kinda funny. I haven't bothered to aim them yet. The grill came from another truck a buddy was parting out. It included the clear signal lights etc. Not bad for free.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
^ I think lmc has those.

One advantage of my 79 Chevy, halogen headlights. I put in the extra visions. Bright as hell, never had to worry about hazing either.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

Defrocked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where did u get these from??Lmc looks like decent stuff. ($300 pair)
Just called my nearest Ford dealer and for my body style they are just under $500 each:0,grand total of $1,000 for headlights....Bl@w me while ur at it Ford!!

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just found the invoice from when I purchased mine- back in 2006. They headlamp part numbers are listed below, and were $81.71 each. (headlamps only, not side marker or turn signal lenses or grille surround)

F2TZ-13008-BCP
F2TZ-13008-ACP

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been checking them out at a U-Pull-It that has a bunch of 86-94 Fords, but I can't figure out an effective way to remove them with limited tools. It is a pain in the ass to get to the bolts that hold everything and they are all rusty. Is there a trick I'm missing that doesn't involve removing battery/engine parts to get to them?

ksingltn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought mine from rockauto. They were cheap <18 a side, and fit perfectly. I only did the headlights, not the markers and grille

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been checking them out at a U-Pull-It that has a bunch of 86-94 Fords, but I can't figure out an effective way to remove them with limited tools. It is a pain in the ass to get to the bolts that hold everything and they are all rusty. Is there a trick I'm missing that doesn't involve removing battery/engine parts to get to them?

There are two bolts that hold the turn signal/marker assembly to the big plastic piece. You can get at them with the batteries still in with an 8mm deep well socket, but I'm sure it would be a little hard. After you get that assembly off, remove the whole plastic piece, its about 8 bolts, then its easy to get the headlights off.

racin460

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed on this ebay cheap chit if you spent two days cleaning, spacing, grinding, drilling holes bigger. you can get a good fit just takes a lot of time cussing, throwing tools, yelling, if your willing to devote it for being cheap. it took me a whole Saturday to put a set of tail lights in, they stuck out 3/8" away from body and hit the tailgate when closed. they fit like factory now. I didn't get to head lights yet but thanks for the heads up on the four day adventure ahead of me

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
ive noticed on rockauto you have 2 choices for head lamps, the regular inventory and ones that are inspected and certified by the CAPA, but you pay about 12 bucks more for the certified ones

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online