New Head Valve Recession

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well as some of you know I'm not having much luck with my new heads that my favorite shop installed my inconel exhaust valves in. The specs state the recession is to be 0.051 to 0.063 deep in the heads. Only 2 were at 0.051, the rest were from 0.045 to 0.048 and the top of the stems were ground way too close to the valve spring holders. Around 35 thousands clearance. No that just wont work at all. Now get this.... ALL the intake valves are sunken from 0.060 to 0.074.... They should be between 0.042 to 0.054....-cuss Now that missing the specs by 0.020.....***..... So I have been looking for a shop that can work with me about "fixing" these new heads that I ported. I found a shop that told me to bring them in... They work on "the big diesels" and this is no problem for them... By the way who did this work for you anyway? So I told them the shop and that I gave them 2 tries at getting it right and now I'm looking elsewhere for something better because I didn't feel right asking my first shop to get it right and give them a third chance. Now the second shop "likes the first shop" and asked me to go back to them and give them a third try......cookoo So off come the heads and I talk to the shop owner and he tells me they will get it right..... Then he says we will buy you 2 NEW HEADS and no charge......:dunno cookoo I'm not really feeling good at this moment. Sure, I will be getting a new set of heads but what about my porting.. What about the $350.00 worth of inconel exhaust valves??? I know the valve stem clearances will be around 3 1/2 to 4 thousands and the max is 5 1/2 thousands. New is fine but they wont be as good as what I have now. Tomorrow I will be back in the shop and hope they will just install new intake and exhaust valves in an attempt to save my heads. Hopefully they ground the intake valves and not the hardened seats that are part of the heads...... It never seems to end for me. Maybe I'll just take what I get and run it without looking too closely at it. I still have the other motor that I will be building for a later time.....

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have been doing some thinking about these issues I have. Its kinda funny when I think that a new head is not as good as what I have..... When something new just doesn't fit the job I have planned its not an easy dicission to just accept something new as "good enough". I'm not saying I'm better than new parts, its just the work that I put into something to make it more efficient. Or at least "the way I want it". I guess new parts should come within specs and then I can take it from there..... Ramble off and I've fallen off my soap box.....:D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Update on Heads

Well I went to the shop today with all the specs for proper valve recession and installed stem height. I asked the owner what he had found on my heads about saving them. Remember the intake valves were sunken up to 20 thousands deeper than the specs called for. I was hoping they didn't cut that amount off the seats in the head. That would have junked out the heads. Anyway I was told that a new set was ordered and would be in soon. Maybe 2 days......cookoo Now we all know I'm not buying a new set of loaded heads.... They already said they are paying for it because of the mistakes made on my set. I asked why they went this approach. They told me their valve grinding machine was broken and waiting on some parts.... So I asked what was going to happen to my heads that may or may not be able to be saved. Oh, we'll just keep them and try to reset some new valves in them later.....***..... I have $315.00 in each bare head plus shipping. I also have $350.00 worth of Clevite inconel valves and on top of all that my porting work..... So $630.. plus shipping... $350.00 in valves and all my work gone. Yeah sure I'm getting a new stock set of heads ready to set on the motor but I feel I'm still loosing on this deal. I don't know if the heads can be saved. I would hope they can so it just seems like I loose out on this deal. But I'm pleased something is being done about all this. Its just the idea I'm back where I started from and out the cost of the inconel exhaust valves if the heads are shot... I think I'l just crawl into bed and sleep on this. Yeah I know its about 10 AM here but gees... What next....:dunno

suv7734

Reaction score
icanfixall,

Sorry to hear of all this going on. I will have a chance to read the whole thread later this AM but for now something sounds strange. The exhaust valve seats are a servicable item and there are intake seat inserts available if they have indeed cut the seats too far down. Again I will read the tread later this AM but it doesn't sound like your heads are ready for 'scrap' just yet.

Bruce

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they messed up your heads they get to replace them and you also get your old ones, if they dont like that get a lawyer, or me 6'3" 400 lbs, I could probably give a good beating after dealing with menopausal wife.LOL.
Bring em up to me and we can fix them here. 20 hour drive, you can crash on the couch or in the camper, we build good heads.!!!!They make a 10 thou thicker head valve for just this situation. SBI, I think.

oregon-mike

Reaction score
Hehe, have to keep that in mind typ4! Never know when I might need some head work done or some whoop ass on my side! :backoff :rotflmao

Plus, I'm only a coupla hours from you :thumbsup:

Mike

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well... The shop owner doesn't seem to think I have a choice in this matter. He has bought me a new set of heads without me asking for thisB. What I will probably do is take a look see at the new heads. They may not be new but just rebuilt so then I'll check the valve reseccion on ALL valves and the installed stem height. If all this is fine I'll tell him I want the price of the 8 inconel valves that they messed up on. I know they can be reset to the proper depth but that doesn't mean the height will be correct. At $38.00 each thats $304.00. If its no sale I'll take my heads and be gone. Then he can eat the new set. This may be the wrong direction but I haven't done anything wrong here. These are my heads that they didn't do the proper valve job on. Not their set. That would be differant. Now if I take my heads and find out they cut the seats that are part of the casting on the intakes way too deep then I'm without heads till I take them to court. Anyway I look at this its not going to be fun for either of us. Once again they will never see me again after I'm satisfied......

Jim73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unbelievable, icanfixall. All I can say is stick to your guns - as you say, YOU have done nothing wrong here! Seeing somebody like you - a reasonable, smart customer, a guy nice enough to show up at your house and help another IDI guy work on his truck, mired in this sort of mess makes my blood boil...

Hang in there buddy!

Jim

tractorman86

Reaction score
:mad: :mad: honestly i would make them buy and put the valves(they screwed up) in the new heads and give me the money for the porting and take the new heads with the inconnel valves, PROPPERLY installed, to a compitent machine shop. hang in there and dont let up till you are satisfied. good luck!!!!!