new filter, still leaks?

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i bought a napa gold filter, without the water seperator on it. i drove about 100 miles and filled up, and it did help my mpg, but i still have a leak. if im just idling, letting it warm up with the heat on, i can smell it inside the cab. i guess the heat is blowing it through? anyways, when it is idling, the is something on top of the filter that drips fuel. i took a picture, so maybe someone can explain what it is. its the thing circled in red.

Thanks

Attachments

• filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 49

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Mine is doing/has been doing the same thing for awhile now. Not sure if its the same exact location but it is coming from the top of the filter head. The top of my filter is always wet and so is the bottom. So, it has to be coming from the top. The fuel is dripping all the way down to the IP!!! I was just about to post the exact same thing except mine has not had the two piece filter since I have owned it.

Is this a common issue? Is there an easy fix? Am I really losing that much fuel (if this is a standard thing.....mine could be different...)

I just checked my mileage and got 13.43 MPG over 900 miles. I think this may have something to do with my similiar leak!!! Granted I did have a 30 mph head wind the whole time.

Thanks
Thad

NOT trying to make this about me just trying to minimized posts on the same subject!!!!

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
icanfixall,

I must not have refreshed before you posted......but:

Will this leak more with higher RPM? Just trying to understand when the fuel is leaking.....will get the part.......

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if i get on it, smoke will come out through the hood. from the fuel on pouring on the manifold im assuming.

so do i need to go to a international dealer for this? i can just match one the same size?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Go to International and buy it there. Its a common problem too. You need to remove the aluminum top and then remove the fitting that the filter scerws on to. If I recall its a 1 inch socket ot wrench to remove this. Then press out the electrical fitting from the top down and there you will see the o-ring. Grease it when it goes back together... Its that easy... I bought 2 o-rings so I have a spare... I like spare parts.....:sly

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
So, it isnt outrageous to believe this could be a big MPG thief? Might have to do this tomorrow.....

Thad

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea i used to get about 18 or so with the pump like it is. but i even got 10 mpg last week. it sucks.

Also, does this napa gold filter pass through more fuel? it seems as if it blows more smoke.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Well, I went to the IH dealer and got the $2.50 part.

Kudos to Nelson International in Bismarck, ND for lending me a hand with tools and know how.

I got the new part in and the leak has stopped!

Now I hope that my fuel economy increases!!!

Thad

Last edited:

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but can i just take it off, and take the o ring, and go to a hardware store and find one the same size? I'm sure ill have to drive far to a ih dealer and i dont get free until about 6, after work

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to International and buy it there. Its a common problem too. You need to remove the aluminum top and then remove the fitting that the filter scerws on to. If I recall its a 1 inch socket ot wrench to remove this. Then press out the electrical fitting from the top down and there you will see the o-ring. Grease it when it goes back together... Its that easy... I bought 2 o-rings so I have a spare... I like spare parts.....:sly

what is the electrical fitting? im doing it right now, i got the part that the filter screws on to off. it was 1 1/4". now im stuck lol

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
you have to push the wire connector down through the filter head after you disconnect the wire connection. My connection on top made me think it was not supposed to come apart but with patience and a flathead screw driver it will.

Thad
Or call me

701-330-0579

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
but can i just take it off, and take the o ring, and go to a hardware store and find one the same size? I'm sure ill have to drive far to a ih dealer and i dont get free until about 6, after work
If memory serves me, It's not a standard oring , It's a square cut oring or some such oddball, hence the need to get it from IH. Luckily most IH dealers have after hours parts counters. Most all have mechanics on duty either till midnight or 24 hours a day so they leave the rear door open for parts customers, you usually get better service at the back parts counter anyway, you get the real parts guys back there.

Don't bother trying to get one from ford, They will only sell it along with a new filter head