New clutch disk or play ball?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, as most of you all know, I'm gathering parts for a T19 swap from the C6. I have all the clutch stuff I need, going with a new TOB, new kevlar bushing from south bend, and new M&S cylinder. I got a clutch set off of ebay which has around 30,000 miles on it. The clutch fingers and pressure plate and flywheel I am going to reuse as they are in very good shape, but I'm not so sure about the disk. I think its a good idea to replace it but can I tell if I really need to? They're expensive, and I'm on a tight budget. Thanks,
JD

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
could you tell me what size it is and what the bolt pattern is of the flywheel. We have the whole clutch kit from our failed lucky mod attempt, 11". Has less than 50 miles on it.

rubberfish

Reaction score
This pic here is of one that's got 3000 miles
on it. Supposed to be good for 350 plus rwhp. :rotflmao
Anyways, it looked like this when it went in,
minus the broken spring. They don't have a ton
of meat on them to begin with. Can you post a pic
of the one you want to use? Then we can compare
and help you decide. A poll? :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 100_3894-2.jpg
    100_3894-2.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 10

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, post a pic? I might be able to, it would take a couple days since I don't have steady access to a digital camera. As far as the clutch kit that you have, isn't it for a ZF5? I found out that the ZF clutch is in all ways similar to the T19 EXCEPT the splined area is 1 1/16" on a T19 and 1 1/4" on the ZF. If its for the T19 I'd be interested, but again, I only need the disk...yes it is an 11" OD disk 10 spline. Thanks

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
It'll cost a few bucks, but for the headache involved if you have to tear it apart soon from a worn out clutch lining......
You could always send your disk in to get it relined.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who would do that...a machine shop? Usual cost? No hurry here either I can't work on it until at least next week, and I'll probably take a few days off to breathe after school gets out before I take this on,
JD

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Hmm, you're right it is for the ZF. I didnt even think the clutches were different, I was only thinking the flywheels were. Darn.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Who would do that...a machine shop? Usual cost? No hurry here either I can't work on it until at least next week, and I'll probably take a few days off to breathe after school gets out before I take this on,
JD

Clutch rebuilder. I bought a complete rebuilt clutch assembly from these folks off ebay pretty cheap with a kevlar lining Very nice clutch.
They will reline your clutch or rebuild whole assemblies. For about the same or less than a cheapo mc parts clutch disk , you could have a premium lining clutch ;Sweet

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go get a Luk from the store. I'm not sure if you have anyone here who sells them but I got the one for my 87 with a 6.9 and T-19 for under 200 from Pepboys. Part number is 07-027 for the 11.5" and 07-065 for the 12" upgrade. The stock clutch is an 11.5" the 12" upgrade will bolt right to the standard SMF flywheel. If you need and questions answered send me a PM as I've converted several autos over to manual. It's quite easy to do as long as you have the parts.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey man I might take you up on that especially if I hit a snag. Hopefully I can start sometime towards the beginning of the week of the 17th...hopefully I'll be able to finish it in 2-3 solid 6-8 hour days with any luck,
JD