new alternator doesnt have a plug

Oldiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought a reman alternator from Orieghlys. Didnt pay attention until i got home, but the new alternator has stud posts for the wiring. the way the truck is I beleive is factory. Is this common or did I just get the wrong alternator? And if this is an option, how am I supposed to wire it?

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Think you have the wrong one, should be one terminal for battery and a plugin for the other wires IIRC

Oldiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like they offer 2 styles. One with stud connectors and v-pullys, the other with a connector and a serp pully. I'll just have to swap the pullys, or rewire?

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe a pic would help? Both the 2G and 3G alternator versions used for these trucks have a post for the heavy charge wire and also a plug for a connector. Pretty sure the 2G with a plug is what should be in your '88. The 2G has a heavy post for the charge wire and uses a 2 wire connector and has a small ground stud. The external regulator is over behind the battery. The 2G was the alternator provided with V-belts except for some who have upgraded to the 3G V-belt version from some other application (I can't remember what). The 3G alternator with V-belts also has a stud for the charge wire but uses a 3 wire connector and a single pin plug for the Stator and unless you've converted to the later 3G wiring harness you'll have a couple jumpers installed. See the pics from the truck Homelessduck has in this thread, it used to have a 2G that someone upgraded to a 3G. If you have a 2 wire connector then you should be installing a 2G alternator with v-belts. Maybe you'll need to swap the pulley if they don't have one like that already.

https://www.oilburners.net/threads/im-back-in-the-idi-game.87672/#post-1053541