need TC help!

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
just got my front gears swapped and now have 3.55's at both ends...put her in 4x4 and she didnt want to go into low range. rocked the handle back and forth and got it in...now no matter what position of the handle my truck stays in low...could i just be low on fluid?

where do i add tc fluid?

i hope! goimg camping tommorow hopefully!
:hail hope the diesel gods are with me on this one

Last edited:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you checked the linkage between the lever and the transfer case to make sure it's not binding up for whatever reason? Might be worthwhile to see if you can disconnect the linkage from the arm on the transfer case, and maybe use a screwdriver/prybar to try and move the arm back into 2 wheel (if it's like my Borg-Warner 13-45, it'll be the furthest the lever can travel opposite where it is).

I don't think a low fluid condition would make it not shift properly, unless it's accompanied by other issues. However, I haven't torn into a transfer case on one of these trucks, so I can't speak with authority...that said, checking the fluid on this transfer case is easy; just pull the fill plug, and if ATF comes out of it, you're good to go :) and if you dont' get ATF coming out of the fill hole with the truck sitting level, pump more fluid in until it starts dribbling out...

Last edited:

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
my t-case is a borg warner also. when looking at the back of the case there is a lttle circular diagram showing 4l,4h,2h with arrows in between ...is there a way to manually change the transfercase between ranges, to eliminate the linkage as a problem? :confused: thanks

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC, you actually have a 13-56, which is slightly different than the 13-45's used on '80'-86 trucks...I would imagine the linkage setup isn't too different, though.

The circular diagram, I assume, is near the lever on the transfer case that the linkage attaches to. That SHOULD indicate the shift pattern...but it's pretty straigthforward. The lever on the transfer case moves front-to-back, IIRC in the opposite direction that you move the gearshift lever (since there's a pivot point where the gearshift lever attaches to the tranny). If you're not sure what I'm referring to, take a look at the picture I attached. If you disconnect the linkage from the end of that lever, you should be able to move the lever (albeit with quite a bit of difficulty; hence the need for a prybar as I mentioned in my other post) to get it into 2WD.

If the lever moves freely and/or the transfer case won't shift with the lever moved, or if the lever won't move at all, it's likely an internal problem :( otherwise, it should be a linkage issue...

Hope this helps some...good luck!

Attachments

• Trans Swap 029.jpg
    Trans Swap 029.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 17

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
Does the shift lever go back and forth easily now? Maybe something broke in the linkage? On my 1356 you have to push the lever down to get past 4wd hi. And you might have to push it down to get out of low range? All I know is mine was stuck like heck and I broke the pin that forced you to push down on the lever before pulling back. I see why they had the pin though because now it goes straight into nuetral from 2wd. Take a look under there for some broken linkages. It is easy to pull the boot and peek down from above. If the lever off the t-case is moving then you must have broke something internal.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nick,

I know you are going camping today, not sure if you will read this before you leave or if you got your problem fixed. To fill the Transfer Case there is two plugs on the rear side of the case, lower is the drain and upper is the fill. Use ATF in the BW-13-56 and it doesnt hold much fluid, off the top of my head I want to say 2 quarts, but have heard of folks getting as much as 3.5 qts in them.

Anyways, let us know if you got the shifting problem fixed and what it was, soounds to me like you had your linkage in a bind. Have fun camping.

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
didn't see this thread, i replied to your thread in 911... i said basically what warden did here

sounds like linkage or something internal to me