Need some info on OBS 7.3.

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
So my buddy is buying a 95 PSD with a 5 speed, and a blown head gasket. He is going to swap the 5 speed into his truck, and than part out the rest. Sounds like the truck still runs, and runs good at that, but the head gasket is blown. I am not sure how it blew, or where, but it had right about 200k on the clock so I figure the motor is good for another 100k

Sounds like I should be able to pick this engine up for $500 or less including all the wiring in the whole truck, and the go pedal. So than I just have to find a new set of head gaskets, and repair the motor.

Questions I have for you guys:

What other issues should I look for if the truck is running?
How much is a good set of head gaskets, and whats the best manufacturer?
What size DP should I run? (keep in mind I have the skills needed to modify the the fire wall so that I can get a big boy in there.)
How costly is rebuilding a PSD to original specs.
Good idea to head stud it if I plant to keep boost under 30lbs?

Thanks for all your help!

PZ

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
are you absolutely positive the head gasket is blown?i have never heard of or seen a 7.3 blow a head gasket.what does happen to them is somebody uses an aftermarket thermostat in them.or they use the wrong stat.there are 2 or 3 different stats and timing covers.you need to use a factory ford/ih stat for the correct year motor.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I agree with ^^ . The head gaskets never go unless there is some SERIOUS amount of boost(40psi). If you have coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant, I would be looking at the $100 oil cooler