Need some advice on 1/4 tank fuel problem

catodd

Reaction score
While I wait for my Carrier pump from GenLightening, I would like to address my 1/4 tank fuel problem in both tanks. Would installing a fuel sump in each tank work? I read somewhere here that i could drop the tanks and add a piece of 3/8" fuel line v notched on the end. If the fuel sumps will work, tanks will not have to drop. Please advise.

Charlie

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
If the problem is that you run out of fuel at 1/4 tank sumps would do you no good, your problem is that the fuel pickup no longer goes low enough in the tank to get the last 1/4 tank due to the ends breaking off inside the tank. The only way to fix that is droping the tanks and repair or replace the fuel pickups.

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
.You have the classic shower head issue. The platic parts that go down to the bottom of the tanks has broken off. Most guys just use rubber line trick you mentioned. I would open the tanks up and get the plastic chucks out so you don't block the fsv with them. The shower heads have a screen in them to keep the large chunks in the tank, not your fuel system. I spliced in a inline filter just after the tanks to protect the fsv

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Most but not all the above posting is true. Heres the deal. The front tank will not need to be dropped because there is plenty room to remove the suction sender unit from the tank. Just clean off the area with air or a brush because dirt gets all over that area. Then knock loose the ring nut and lift out the sender. Of course the lines and electrical will need to be released too. Now add about 3 inches of hose and 1 or 2 clamps. v cut the bottom of the hose and install. Make sure you align the the sender plate with the notch pin on the tank lip. There also is a square o ring seal that needs to be in place. The rear tank will need to be dropped. Or lift off the bed and leave the tank in place. Dropping a tank with the last 1/4 of fuel is tuff. Its going to move around on you no matter what so be careful with it. The weight is not so much that you can't handle it. Cut loose the supply and return lines from the frame cross rails so you can drop the tank enough to reach the sender electrical and fuel lines. Then just drop it down. Its a tight area too. Add the line just like the front tank and reinstall..

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You really need to drop the tanks and make sure you get out all the old showerhead pickups before adding a hose. Those pieces can cause problems, Ask me how I know.

catodd

Reaction score
Here is a pic of the fuel sump that would eliminate the in tank pickup....would this work with the Carrier fuel pump?

You must be registered for see images attach

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Pull the bed;Really Then you can really work on the tanks like a gentleman;Sweet. Fix the tank situation, wash, wire wheel the frame and paint everything. That's how you are trained when living in the rust belt.;Really:mad:

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
A) Reading that description part or all of it is designed to be installed in the tank
B) Its designed for fully functional pickups thatll draw from the bottom but cant carry the volume needed
C) Requires aftermarket lift pump and larger fuel lines from tank to lift pump

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the sump will work fine, but it's overkill and not really necessary. All your lift pump, OEM or transfer or some other electric, wants is fuel to pump. It doesnt care if it's coming out of the factory pickup, a sump, or a 5 gallon can in the bed, it just needs fuel to pump. Line size only matters if you need more fuel, which is highly unlikely without major upgrades to the engine and fuel system.

TomA

Reaction score
I would just leave it alone and be glad it works that way. The last 1/4 tank is where the sediment, water and crap hang out. Why would anyone want to suck fuel off the bottom?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes... The last tiny bit of fuel in the tanks "may" have stuff in it but remember that all the fuel from a station is filtered before it goes into our tanks. Then its filtered once more before it sees the injection pump. I have harpooned both of my factory tanks and done the pickup mods so I can fill faster and draw down the last drop of fuel. I never draw down much past 1/4 tank anyway. I don't like to run the engine out of fuel. The fuel is being used as an injection pump and injecter cooler along with a fuel for the engine... Why chance harming these costly items just to run a tank out and refill it... Your going to refill the tank anyway. Just do it safely in a station where its nice to people watch others as they fill up too...

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I would just leave it alone and be glad it works that way. The last 1/4 tank is where the sediment, water and crap hang out. Why would anyone want to suck fuel off the bottom?

Water in the bottom will rot the tank from the inside out. I run my tanks dry or at least as close as I can every time, usually 500-550 miles between fill ups. I want the water and sediment to be trapped in my fuel filter to be rid of when the filter gets serviced. Why would you want to leave a 1/4 tank of water and sediment hanging out in your tank?

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score

It is most certainly that way if the condition is not fixed. Since diesel and all other fuels are lighter than water, water is the very first thing to go in a correctly maintained fuel pickup - on the bottom of the tank. The fuel filter and water separator have the job of removing water and sediment from the fuel line, don't collect it in your tank.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online