Need some advice from the Pros

ihochad

Reaction score
Is that a c6 or E4od trans? Sounds like a good truck.

it's the E4od. Is it possible to upgrade is trannyvia rebuild. i.e. better TC valve body??? It obviously has a shift kit in it now and shifts very firm. The way I see it right now the only 3 major faults of the truck for my application are.

1. The tranny.
2. Lack of aftermarket perfomance enhancments
3. Not 4x4

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sure can upgrade the trans. BTS or Suncoast Tans would be the best going at this time. Both have the same warranty... Any hp... Any torque.. No questions asked..... Your stock torque converter has 25 square inches of clutch material handling all the motor torque. The BTS torque converter has 150 square inches of clutch material.... I'll bet that makes you feel a little weak about being stock tq. I would only reccomend what I have found to be better than stock. I have the BTS sitting beside my truck at this time waiting for a part but I could post later as to what it runs like when its installed.... Its only a matter of time.... These E4OD trans were not very good when they first came out but have several factory upgrades now and are much better. Ford sells theirs for about $3000.00 with a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty anywhere in the country. That works for some that want that kind of warranty.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's the E4od. Is it possible to upgrade is trannyvia rebuild. i.e. better TC valve body??? It obviously has a shift kit in it now and shifts very firm. The way I see it right now the only 3 major faults of the truck for my application are.

1. The tranny.
2. Lack of aftermarket perfomance enhancments
3. Not 4x4
1) BTS or ZF5 conversion would be the ticket.
2) You'd be suprised what you can get out of one of these trucks without a whole lot of aftermarket choices. But seriously, to wake up one of these motors.....turbo, IC and snow. If that isn't enough hyperdrive for you, rumor has it the Moose pump will put more oomph into it. There really isn't much else you need. One more thing, if you really want a five inch exhaust system, look no further than MBRP for the OBS PSD kit.
3) 4x4 can be had for the f450 via Marmon-Herrington. Very pricey tho.
On a sidenote, going off-roading in a f450 is nothing but pure punishment.

ihochad

Reaction score
I have absolutely no desire to go off road in it, that’s what my Scouts are for. I live in the foothills of the Serra Nevada Mtns and do a lot of winter driving so it is simply that I don't want to deal with chains. I can't believe how hard of a decision this is. I have to admit that I have bit of a soft spot for these old IDI as we owned an 85 6.9 that my father still talks about.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have absolutely no desire to go off road in it, that’s what my Scouts are for. I live in the foothills of the Serra Nevada Mtns and do a lot of winter driving so it is simply that I don't want to deal with chains. I can't believe how hard of a decision this is. I have to admit that I have bit of a soft spot for these old IDI as we owned an 85 6.9 that my father still talks about.

:yell: Buy the truck.

If you don't, you will always regret it.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
buy it, try it, if you don't like it, sell it. if you are getting a good deal on it you will probably make your money back. but i'll bet it grows on you. i'm still attached to my old IDI cookooLOL