Need help with these wires

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out what the PO has done. Here are some pics of the wires that I don't know what they do. I suspect one or more are for my cruise as it does not work. Any help would be greatly appreciated;Sweet also the a/c compressor is missing

Attachments

• truck wires01.JPG
    truck wires01.JPG
    213 KB · Views: 32
  • truck wires02.JPG
    truck wires02.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 21
  • truck wires03.JPG
    truck wires03.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 16
  • truck wires06.JPG
    truck wires06.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 22
  • truck wires11.JPG
    truck wires11.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 24
  • truck wires04.JPG
    truck wires04.JPG
    182.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I know one. The purple wire near the GP controller is the power wire for the gp relay. The GP controlller uses this wire to activate the relay and turn on and off the GP's

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I know one. The purple wire near the GP controller is the power wire for the gp relay. The GP controlller uses this wire to activate the relay and turn on and off the GP's

Ok, so that one doesn't matter right now, there's a toggle for that. One down

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If all the wires are hooked up to the cruise, you may have a bad sender at the other end of the speedo cable. Does your speedo work? There is a magnetic pickup built in to the other end of the speedo cable that has two wires coming out of it. if that don't spin, your cruise will not work.

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If all the wires are hooked up to the cruise, you may have a bad sender at the other end of the speedo cable. Does your speedo work? There is a magnetic pickup built in to the other end of the speedo cable that has two wires coming out of it. if that don't spin, your cruise will not work.

everything in the dash works except the front tank fuel gauge

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
The one labeled "other end of colored wires" looks like the plug/boot on top of the water separator...

(next to the brake booster, behind cruise control servo)

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one labeled "other end of colored wires" looks like the plug/boot on top of the water separator...

(next to the brake booster, behind cruise control servo)
this is probably a dumb question but are the brake booster and the brake master cylinder two different things? I looked all around the M/C and couldn't find the other end for this plug.The PO said the truck kept draining the batteries and he couldn't track down what was causing it. Thanks to OB I found it to be a bad horn contact in the wheel, so I have no horn (want air horns) but my batteries don't drain anymore. I'm just trying to put stuff how it's supposed to be

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
The booster is between the firewall and the master cylinder. It looks like a drum, and the master is bolted to it. It will have a black vacuum line connected at the top.

The master has the two brake lines... It's where you add fluid.

The water separator is below the brake booster and to the right (drivers) side. it's kind of hard to see. It will have a ring (looks like a keychain ring) DONT pull that ring...

Theres a connector on top that looks like what you've got.

This is what operates the "water in fuel" light... Mine's been bypassed on my truck, (due to the leaky ring) and replaced with a frame mounted Racor water separator.

jiggiwdit

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out what the PO has done. Here are some pics of the wires that I don't know what they do. I suspect one or more are for my cruise as it does not work. Any help would be greatly appreciated;Sweet also the a/c compressor is missing

That big plug is definetly the water seperator plug. The small plug near that is water in fuel plug. Your stock seperator has obviously been removed. They are a air leaking pos anyway.

The other plug near the wiper motor I have no idea. I have that plug just hanging there on my 86 also.

Lee

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That big plug is definetly the water seperator plug. The small plug near that is water in fuel plug. Your stock seperator has obviously been removed. They are a air leaking pos anyway.

The other plug near the wiper motor I have no idea. I have that plug just hanging there on my 86 also.

Lee
Ah, so what I'm looking for isn't even there? That big yellow wire looks to be important. There is no end on it though, I will go trace it through the firewall (later)and see where it ends up, and I'm guessing the water in fuel plug is supposed to go on the separator also?

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
First pic is the low pressure cut out for the a/c system. Looks like the PO removed the line that had the switch on it. My big yellow wire goes to a junction block just above the fuel/water sep. Has one or two other little wires there also.

Last edited:

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
everything in the dash works except the front tank fuel gauge

Well for the cruise problem, that is goodness. Need to inspect the point where the speedo cable enters the C6, ( @ tail shaft, IIRC). there should be a black plastic adapter thingy with a two wire connector on it. the speedo cable passes through it, into the trans.

Your truck is 2WD, right. 4WD would be on the back of the BW1345 transfer case, above the upper rear yoke.

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well for the cruise problem, that is goodness. Need to inspect the point where the speedo cable enters the C6, ( @ tail shaft, IIRC). there should be a black plastic adapter thingy with a two wire connector on it. the speedo cable passes through it, into the trans.

Your truck is 2WD, right. 4WD would be on the back of the BW1345 transfer case, above the upper rear yoke.

checked the wires on the Xcase (thanks updated sig)they are all in is there another connection under the hood I could look for and IDK if it might be a fuse as I have no clue what fuses do what (maybe I should look for a fuse panel diagram)

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, with the messed up wiring you seem to have, getting a fuse diagram would be a good idea. Sorry, I don't have one either.