Need Help! Starter going out? Weak?

agp23109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so a couple of weeks ago I went out to start my truck and it turned over as if the batteries were getting weak. Before, I would bump the key and it would turn over with authority and start right away, withing 2-3 revolutions max, no matter if it was cold or hot. The batteries were approx 3-4 years old and were on the edge of "weak" went put on my load tester. Figured I would go ahead and replace them. Bought two brand new Interstate group 31 batteries. Cables and connectors were clean, but went ahead and cleaned them any way. Inspected the cable from batteries to starter and it seems to be in good shape. Started the truck and same problem. Turns over slow and takes about 3-4 seconds to fire after the glow plugs cycle. Some times even longer when it is warm. I know the harder starts can by an IP problem but I don't think that is the case here. Like I said before, my initial thought when this started was the batteries were weak and going out. That is how it acted. What do you guys think? Seems in the past when I have had any starter problems in my other diesels they just totally crapped out. Could my starter be wearing out? Owned the truck about 8 months and the starter appears to be a Mitsubishi. Don't know if it is original or was replaced along the way. Any suggestions on a good starter? Thanks in advance. :dunno

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its hard to say what condition the starter is in. The po may have cranked it longer than needed and started the possible burn out. Replacing a questionable starter is what I would do. Too bad you can't use a load tester on the cable going to the starter. That could tell you what the starter is drawing for amps. It does sound like you need another starter but 8 months is a short time for determining whats going on without a load test.

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check down on the starter. There is a ground wire i think. It is real short, more like a ground strap that connects the motor to the solenoid. Mine vibrated loose over time. I thought my starter was going out cause it was cranking slower and slower and eventually it just clicked. I then discovered that strap to be loose. You should just be able to feel around and tell if its loose. If it is take it off and clean it all up and put it on. Just be careful not to strip the threads off the copper lug. My starter performs like new now.

agp23109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought I would update this in case anyone with the same problem comes across this post. Replaced the starter today with a high torque one from DB Electrical and it fixed the problem. Fires right up on the first crank! Thanks to everyone who posted.

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
Sometimes starters are like injectors, they sloooowly get weaker and weaker until one day you go "Wait a second!"

Reaction score
take it apart, clean all the connections, and clean the brushes. mine would barely start the truck, now it spins it like a new starter! saved me ~200$

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem with starters, is as they fail they draw more and more current. These causes high heat and can burn up stuff. I had one starter that was so bad, that the valve cover leak that covered it with oil almost caused it to start a fire! If you smell a burn electrical smell, it's toast.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HarleyCummins

Members online