Need brake pushrod adjuster

TronDD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Previous owner mickey moused an old brake master cylinder into the truck. Trying to replace it with the correct one. The adjuster screw on the booster pushrod is missing and without it the pushrod is way too short. What are my options?

Any one happen to know the size/threads and if I can just stick a bolt in there? Are they unchanged for decades and I can hit the junk yard?

What started as a sticking caliper has become 2 months and an almost completely new brake system. Also batteries, coincidentally. Why do I love the old vehicles? :D

Tim.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go to the junkyard and get the correct piece. If you did figure out the threads, you would have to cut the head of the bolt off, and put it on a grinder and make it smooth and round so it would not damage the master cylinder. I don't know if the original one is hardened or not.

Whatever you do , don't pull the whole thing out of the booster. I am not sure what's going on up in there, but they always warn you not to take the rod out of the booster or some sort of "reaction disc" can become dislodged and the booster will not work correctly then.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there usually 1/4-20.
ive done this before. some with good results, some with hazardous results.
i would advise aginst doing it.
sounds like its time for a hydroboost set up :)

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couple bucks for shipping and I'll send ya one. Just swapped a booster on my truck and the old rod is still in it

TronDD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll try to hit the junkyard next weekend. If I can't find something, I'll PM you.

Tim.

TronDD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got one at the yard. Getting a slow bleed down of pressure in the pedal so I grabbed a master and RABS while I was there. Broke another brake line, though, so the saga continues.

Found a '90 7.3 F-250 way in the back corner. I might have to go back for some of the rarer parts.

Tim.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
With something like a brake master, don't even get a used one. Just get a new one, not that expensive.
Your life depends on it.
Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

TronDD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With something like a brake master, don't even get a used one. Just get a new one, not that expensive.
Your life depends on it.
Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

Already have a brand new one installed. The junkyard MC is mostly to test with if I need it.

Tim.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726