""Need advice desperately!!!""

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, to prevent the rest of us from having to look at HUGE TEXT, use Ctrl key and + on your keyboard to magnify your web browser. Also it's usually a menu item(View->Zoom on my Firefox install).

^^^^^
This.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Checking EVERY time you get out of the truck, to see... Maybe they'll just get blown out of the engine by the compression. :D
Oh believe me. You'll know if one of them gets blown out without raising your hood. There's a VERY loud noise every time that the open cylinder hits the compression stroke.

CEDRICWARD

Reaction score
Selahdoor

If he did what I suggested the bottom remnant of the plugs wouldn't 'blow out' because the top of the remnant of the bad plugs would still be in the glow plug hole to maintain compression.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Selahdoor

If he did what I suggested the bottom remnant of the plugs wouldn't 'blow out' because the top of the remnant of the bad plugs would still be in the glow plug hole to maintain compression.
Yep. What you gave him was good advice.

I changed it a bit, to what I would do in his shoes.

TIMOTHY THOMAS

Reaction score
Well guys!!! So after much soul searching and head scratching i came up with a solution for my glow plug problem. I took two old glow plugs, i hulled them out lead soldered them up to create a plug and installed them . Taped up the 2 glow plugs on the harness. And now i am good to go. Autolite has sent me a "claim" kit for when i eventuality pull my heads off. While this will be far in the future they are aware that there is a problem .I was highly ticked off when i read one reply that gave me a history as to how these particular glow plugs were apparently repurposed to work for these idi engines. Instead of coming up with a design , they just jury rigged an existing product line with smaller wire to limit voltage in order to fill a manufacturer's requirement. This is so typical of the corporate mindset .(1 reason for more homework/ reasearch)So, at least when this 6.9 comes out and I swap in my 7.3. In i can submit what my costs were because of the bad glow plugs. And i will submit some if the info i got from this website so as to recover my costs . But, i do have to send them the rest if the glow plugs i revover upon dissaembly for their engineers to examine. Which is ok by me as long as i get reimbursed for my costs ,which happened because if their product. I did try several things to get them out ,but all to no avail. Trust me when i say all the replies i got were much appreciated, even the butt chewing one's LOLLOL. Everyone was right in saying i ought to have done my ""homework": prior to just slapping in a new set of gp's. That was a terrible error in judgement on my part and I own it now. And at my age (68) i really should have put more fore thought and research into it. IT WILL NOT HAPPEN TWICE YA'LL, I PROMISE!!!!!( caps on ,on purpose this time lol). Thanks to all who took time to reply to this "old " but, new/ newbie./ rookie .I truly have realized just how much I have to learn and how many miles I havevto go before i can even remotely begin to scratch the surface where most if y'all have been successfully trenching and plowing ground for years. I have repeatedly said that i am in "Pe-k"PRE-K And I do hope ,one day , to have finally gotten the confidence and experience in being an " oil burner" as you guys obviously have. Thank yall so much for all the ideas i truly am humbled and thankful for a bunch of guys who truly want to help a " rookie" be on his A game .Y'all Be safe out there guys ,arrive alive cause you all have someone your going home to !!!! Thanks again tim thomas

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That 6.9 is junk. You should give it to me and put it behind you. Just kidding. But I'd take a free 6.9

Stick with motocraft beru if you want to stay OEM. Research actual 12 volt glow plugs if you can't get the oem.

This isn't the only engine that has issues with "compatibile" how plugs. We had a chevy diesel van that puked half the glow plugs out of the tail pipe. I

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Autolite are junk. Use only Motorcraft or Beru glow plugs. Beru makes them for Motorcraft, so they are really the same glow plugs.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
My F250 had all Autolites. About half were burned out. But amazingly, none were swollen nor did any break. I had started the engine that morning and drove about a mile then parked and waited a little while for it to cool down. Maybe the slightly warm engine helped them come out easier? Or I was just insanely lucky. I replaced with Motorcraft plugs.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glow plugs generally come out without any problems unless one or more are swollen. Then you could have a major project pulling the head off.

firehonomichl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the (junk) auto lights in my 89 and the only lived 6 months and I took them out and they were burnt to heck so I went to the part store and got motorcrafts. I didn’t think there was much of a difference but o man there is a huge difference!!