Need advice about low compression

funky at best

Reaction score
Hey all! Im new to this forum stuff, so sorry if I do any of this wrong.

So here it is. I got a '91 7.3 IDI. I noticed a "puffing" coming from the exhaust at idle, so I did a compression test. I had 420lbs on 2 cylinders, 390lbs on 4, 360 on 1, and 200 on the last one. I understand these motors have a habit of rod guides wearing out. I'm assuming for now that that is it.
Here are my questions;
1. is the range of the other cylinders (360 to 420) bad, or normal?
2. How difficult a job is it to pull the head(s) and do the valve work at home? I have never done any type of engine rebuild, although I do all my own maintenance and almost all repair work, and am very mechanically inclined. I can rebuild carbs and that sort of thing, but the farthest I've ever gotten on a motor was the intake manifold. I'm sure of course I'll have to take the head to a machine shop to get milled and have the valve guides pressed and stuff, but I'm wondering if I should just take the whole dame thing in and let a pro handle it.
3 Does anyone have a machine shop in the Santa Cruz Co./Bay area that they trust?

I've had bad luck with shops, and don't really trust them. But having no rebuild experience, I am worried about getting in over my head and taking a freaking month to do a job that a shop could do in a day or two!:dunno

Thank to all in advance!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Im new to this forum stuff, so sorry if I do any of this wrong.

So here it is. I got a '91 7.3 IDI. I noticed a "puffing" coming from the exhaust at idle, so I did a compression test. I had 420lbs on 2 cylinders, 390lbs on 4, 360 on 1, and 200 on the last one. I understand these motors have a habit of rod guides wearing out. I'm assuming for now that that is it.
Here are my questions;
1. is the range of the other cylinders (360 to 420) bad, or normal?
2. How difficult a job is it to pull the head(s) and do the valve work at home? I have never done any type of engine rebuild, although I do all my own maintenance and almost all repair work, and am very mechanically inclined. I can rebuild carbs and that sort of thing, but the farthest I've ever gotten on a motor was the intake manifold. I'm sure of course I'll have to take the head to a machine shop to get milled and have the valve guides pressed and stuff, but I'm wondering if I should just take the whole dame thing in and let a pro handle it.
3 Does anyone have a machine shop in the Santa Cruz Co./Bay area that they trust?

I've had bad luck with shops, and don't really trust them. But having no rebuild experience, I am worried about getting in over my head and taking a freaking month to do a job that a shop could do in a day or two!:dunno

Thank to all in advance!
go on CL. find a truck with a motor you can hear run and check for blowby. a truck with body damage and bad reg would be ideal for a good motor donor. buy it. pay someone to pull out good motor and swap it into your truck with motor issues. you'll be money ahead when done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylerperson

Members online