Need a shop recommendation...

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Kind of a long shot, but anyone happen to know of a shop in the southern or central Ohio area that knows what they're doing with an IDI? I'm finally about to start getting a tiny amount of income, so I'll finally be able to start chipping away at a rebuild. Cylinders and slugs look ok, but one or two on the driver's side had some water in them from sitting outside with no valve covers (should el-cheapo drill hone out). However, I'll need someone to check heads for cracks/flatness and probably replace valve guides, maybe a valve job, but I might just hand lap them. I'm really hoping that the precups in my current heads aren't as cracked as the ones in the heads from the engine I'll be rebuilding. Some of the cracks are dangerously close to the fire rings and I think one or two may have extended into the fire ring. Any suggestions?

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I guess I also need the specs for the proper machining clearance between the valve stems and ID of the guides. I had the info saved, but it must've been one of the links that got wiped last time I had a tech glitch. I'm fairly certain that the Jasper reman in the Enterprise had the guides reamed under spec on the driver's head and that's what's caused all my strange valve issues.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you are operating under a budget, my suggestion is do not bring your motor to a machine shop unless you have $5k to play with. go buy a used truck with a good motor and swap it out. cheaper and faster in the meantime. also you won't be under pressure to get the truck rolling again and take the time to build up the motor right.
once again.....just my .02

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I know of one, but it around the corner from me. Which is 175 miles from you. But, he has the knowledge and has done many IDI's over the years. That's who I'll use if I need one.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
if you are operating under a budget, my suggestion is do not bring your motor to a machine shop unless you have $5k to play with. go buy a used truck with a good motor and swap it out. cheaper and faster in the meantime. also you won't be under pressure to get the truck rolling again and take the time to build up the motor right.
once again.....just my .02

Thanks about how much another truck that needs a new engine costs around here. I'm just looking for head work, not block work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online