Need a little guidance.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
******, my CC LB DRW 1990 F-350 went down today, ironically immediately after yelling out nice blinker *******! At first I thought I had blinded my fuel filter, but turns out the injector pump was smoking, it shut off just like I had turned the key. Towed the truck home, with a little bitty Nissan truck, looked like an ant pulling a wagon LOL and took the top of the IP off, can anyone tell me what I'm looking at here? I know that there is a timing advance, and a fuel solenoid. Is the linkage for the timing advance, or is it the fuel shutoff.

I have a working top cap for the IP, but the big solenoid in it is cracked just as well as the one I just pulled off. It was pulled from a running truck, but I know if it is cracked as well, it's probably just a matter of time. To get the truck going again, I'm going to replace the top cap with another that I have, but can anyone tell me before I put it together, which is which, and can I remove the fuel shutoff solenoid in the future, if needed, and kill the truck with the clutch. I'm hoping for a quick explanation on whats what, so I can make my mind up on what I'm going to use to put it back together with.

Last edited:

gandalf

Reaction score
You've opened one of the critical parts of your truck. Be very careful. Actually, I would advise waiting until somebody much more knowledgeable than myself answers. I will simply tell you to read Mel's Article while you wait for somebody.

Say again they year of your truck. It didn't come out well in your post.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck's running, thanks!!!

It's counter intuitive the way that thing is designed, the linkage is the kill unit, and the valve is the timing advance. Or I should say the kill solenoid is tied into the throttle linkage.

About 20 minutes ago I initially incorrectly assembled the pump, but was prepared for a runaway, or a no stop situation. My Dad started the truck and it immediately went to about 3/4 throttle, shoved a cardboard box onto the filter housing and that lowered the RPM enough to kill it with the clutch. The box would have done the job, but when I shoved it on there I missed by about 1/4" so it was still able to suck enough air to run about 1500 RPM.

Reassembled the top cap, this time with power applied to the solenoid. With power applied, it allowed the linkage to line up correctly. Truck is now running fine, and a replacement top cap has been ordered for 114.00 to replace the one I robbed from the parts truck. The donor part was cracked just the same as the bad one, so I'll actually swap the two parts back out, and keep rolling. Mods feel free to delete the thread or move it. I am quite curious to know rather or not the timing advance is actuated by the solenoid that is situated on the return line port. Does it advance the timing by simply raising the back pressure on the pump?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger