My Rally, part2

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
I'll make this short. I typed a longer post, but when I hit submit, I had lost internet connection. Gr-rrr

The rally was great, thanks Barney and Amy.

BJ and Tanya. Matthew is still asking " Where are the gurls?" lol

I headed out west, made it to the I80 Truck Stop in Iowa. This is the world's largest truck stop. It is way cool.

Egt's did fine, I guess. definitly need the turbo and gauges.

More updates to follow.

John

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
We Are going to camp near Mt Rushmore for 4 days. I believe it is called the Mystery Mountain Resort, or something like that. We are at a rest area near exit 76 on I80 in Iowa right now. Hope to make it SD border then stop for the night. The truck doesn't like the long upgrades. Need a turbo bad. lol
John

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
do you have reservations already... if not stop by Rafter J bar campground - it's on highway 16 just out of hill city - best campground in the area - trust me the sites they offer for the same price as everyone one else is like 4 - 5 sites anywhere else (HUGE) You could park two trucks and trailers (30 ft'ers) in the sites at rafter j (ask for the islands section)... Plus they hardly ever ban campfires at Rafter J (because it's private land).

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
John

Enjoy your trip. Sounds like fun.

I have friends that have a ranch northeast of Lusk, WY (less than 100 miles of where you'll be). That is some beautifull country.

Tom

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
Travis, I already have reservations. Just need to make it there. Truck started acting kind of goofy, temp gauge would climb on long upgrades, never got past half way, but it would suddenly drop to the range it would normally be in ( about 1/3), and the Ac started getting warmer. Checked at a rest stop, no coolant pressure against the upper hose. Slowly undid the cap, it was full, overflow was full but it was not presserized. Took it slow for the next 150 miles and made it to Souix City SD. Went out and got a new radiator cap, and added 1 can of r134. It had a new Motorcraft cap on there when I replaced the radiator but I put a new one on anyway. I'll check everything tomorrow. Still planning on Mt Rushmore, just not going to push it like I was. Thats it for now, were chillin at a Hampton Inn, AC, pool, kids are happy,got to get them to bed and then mix a Barcardi and Diet Coke. See ya all later.
John

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good luck John! No post rally blues for you. ;Sweet

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
Thanks Mel, that is if I make it there and back. We shall see. I'm leaving Souix City now, and planning a slow easy drive to Mt Rushmore. Should be there by midnight or later. Its really hot during the day, and I'm thinking its easier on the equipment if I drive at night. Updates to follow.
John

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
John the air is thin out there. which is prolly adding to your slow uphill climbs. Keep us informed on the progress. Have a great time And enjoy your trip. wish we could have went with you.

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
Made it to the entrance to the Badlands State Park. Pulled into a campground and called it quits for the night. Looks like my cooling system issues are resolved. AC was nice and cold. It still pulled slow at times, but I guess that is to be expected.

Had a new issue come up. The fuel filter light came on. Does that mean I need a new fuel filter? How does it work? Is there a sensor that turns the light on when the fuel pressure drops below a preset amount? I was still putting out black smoke, but now I am trying to feather it to keep the light off. I have a new filter which I will try to install tomorrow, just wondering how it works. Other than that, all is well.

John

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Don't tell me your at catus flat, sd... the campground next to the BP that is also the post office/general store... That is where I had to stop in The E because of my cooling problems... Make sure you stop at Wall Drug - that is a MUST see dude... Neat thing for me was I have a picture of me sitting on one of their little statues when I was about 5 years old and then I have a picture of Sherm at the same age on the same broncing horse...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
John, I'd certainly go for the new filter if you have one handy. Otherwise, I'd try opening the water drain and see if that helps.

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
Travis- Yup, thats where I am at. I can see the BP station from the window of the camper. Funny thing, when I pulled in, they were closed, then the guy inside got up and turned on the open sign and unlocked the front door. He said he is usually not here this late. Glad he was, Thanks for the PM.

Mel- I'll drain it first. Really don't want to fool w/ it until I get to my camp. Thanks.

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online